unable to rename apple wireless keyboard

Reaction score

MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2014

Apple Wireless Keyboard A1314

Hello, it seems there is a bug which prevents me from changing the name of my keyboard. I tried to change the name in bluetooth system preferences, right-click change name. the new name will be displayed in the preferences window. but in the bluetooth menu at the top of the screen there is still the old name displayed (Tastatur <-> moritz93ks Tastatur). When I close and reopen the bluetooth system preferences the old name is displayed again.

I already tried the option/shift -> bluetooth menu -> reset connected devices, removed all devices, reset bluetooth module options with no success.

Also did SMC and PRAM reset.

Thank you very much

Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-06 um 10.52.54.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Apple's instructions for how to rename it are found here, but it looks like you are doing it correctly. They do have a note that the device will reset to its default name if it is paired to more than one Mac, so perhaps that is what's going on here?

EDIT:
The only other thing to try if that doesn't help is to delete the Bluetooth preference file, which can be found here:
yourhomefolder » Library » Preferences » com.apple.Bluetooth.plist

macOS will rebuild that file from scratch and you will need to re-pair all your devices, but that should fix it if nothing else will.

Last edited:
OP
F
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer! I tried to solve the problem by deleting the plist file also already. But the problem still persists.
I also tried to rename the keyboard under windows 10 with the same outcome. After I changed the name and close the change dialog the old name appears again. Seems like an error in the keyboard itsself...

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem and it got solved using the following method:

(Also created a small 1 min video which show's that this works, check it out instead of reading below:
)

1 Connect Device
2 Go to settings, right click on device, dont click the menu, leave it open
3 Turn off device
4 Select "rename" in the still open right click menue
5 rename the device and close the pop up
6 Turn device back on and connect

studio804

Reaction score
Brilliant! I've struggled with this issue for over a year and just finally gave up. Today I decided to research, yet again, how to fix this issue. This procedure worked PERFECTLY!

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Brilliant! I've struggled with this issue for over a year and just finally gave up.

It's unfortunate that Apple seems to be incapable of posting a proper solution for such a seemingly basic thing. :rolleyes:

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
So...what do we do if no menu displays at all?

What menu? Please elaborate. Are you talking about the Bluetooth settings? Open System Preferences, click on Bluetooth, check the box to Show Bluetooth in menu bar.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.