Unable to put windows on through bootcamp

Reaction score
Hello, as you can probably tell I am new to the world of mac.

I have tried to put windows onto boot camp.

I have put the windows iso on a flash drive through bootcamp and also downloaded the latest windows support software.

This is where its all gone wrong. (I did read the sticky after finding this forum) oops.

It will not let me install windows 7.

Going into disk utility I have

1TB apple HDD st1000
Macintosh HD
Bootcamp.

Now another site told me to erase the bootcamp drive/partition which I tried to do but although I unmount it and select erase it still remains.

When trying to run bootcamp again to reinstall I get "The disk is not journaled. You must enable journaling using Disk Utility before using the Boot Camp Assistant."

Now I have tried to enable disk journaling but it is greyed out so unable to select it.

Any ideas please?

Prior to this I did have wine, winebottler and vmware 7 installed.

Maybe this is a result of one of them?

The reason I put them on was I was trying to put games on for the kids but I have failed miserably. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

First up you have to set up the partition under Boot Camp Assistant in utilities, and if you then wish to rempve the partition you do it there also. The entire hard drive must eb formated Mac OS Extended (Journaled) which is the normal Mac format. Go ibnto Utilities > Boot Camp Assistant, and print the Guidelines. Also download drivers etc and burn to a CD or thumb drive.

Suggest you have made a mess of the whole thing. What version of Windows 7, 64bit or 32bit, what type of CD, what Apple computer and what operating system?

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome.

Ok so I have a problem. I can add windows or remove it.

I was trying to install windows 7 professional 64 bit.

I was doing it from iso that is on the computer and directed it to that file.

I also have the iso image on an external hard drive.

It is a 27" iMac 3.4 Ghz intel i5

8Gb Ram

Running OS X 10.9.5

If I have to start over again I don't mind but I do need to know how to do it.

Thank you for the assistance.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This would be easier if you just burned the ISO to a disc. Did Microsoft send you instructions on doing this when you bought it?

OP
R
Reaction score
I don't have a disk drive to run it thats why I have it as an iso.

Irregardless I don't have the option to install or remove windows from bootcamp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Burn it to a USB thumb drive.

OP
R
Reaction score
How do I go about restarting from scratch?

I see there is the recovery disk option in the boot up menu, but I am unsure how to do it correctly.

Any advice please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By 'scratch' do you mean formatting the hard drive and doing a clean install? If so you will have to download Mavericks again, burn to a USB thumb drive, boot from that and format the drive and do a clean install. Remember that will wipe the hard drive, so if you want anything saved, backup. Lion DiskmakerX will do the copying to your 16GB thumb drive.

OP
R
Reaction score
By 'scratch' do you mean formatting the hard drive and doing a clean install? If so you will have to download Mavericks again, burn to a USB thumb drive, boot from that and format the drive and do a clean install. Remember that will wipe the hard drive, so if you want anything saved, backup. Lion DiskmakerX will do the copying to your 16GB thumb drive.

Yes, format and clean install.

Is it an easy process? Guided?

As its new I have nothing that needs to be backed up.

Do I need to download Lion DiskmakerX?

Thanks for all the responses!

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes you do need to download LionDiskMakerX, then download the operating system again, go to Application Folder to find the download and follow DiskMaker's instructions.

When the USB thumb drive is finished, boot from it by holding down 'C' after the chime, leave Installer, go to Utilities > Disk Utility and hit Erase > Partition > Options and enuse GUID is set up, back to Installer and run.

OP
R
Reaction score
I am finding it hard to find a mavericks dog file. (It is dog that I need correct?)

Would I be able to download yosemite from the app store and use that instead?

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You do have an Apple ID? If so go into the App Store and hit Purchases and Mavericks should appear there. Then you have the option of downloading Mavericks, or if you prefer going to Yosemite.

Then as suggested burn to the 16GB thumb drive, format the hard driver AFTER backing up if need be, and run the Installer. Then try BootCamp and Windows. You say you don't have an optical drive ~ be aware if the Mac, came with an optical drive, that is the only way you can install Windows. Models with no optical drive when new have to go the way of the thumb drive.

OP
R
Reaction score
It says I have not made any purchases yet??

I have started downloading Yosemite.

And by burning to the 16GB drive you mean through DiskMaker X?

By Formatting the hard drive you mean the main one? I have 3 labelled.

1TB apple HDD ST1000DM003

Then as a sub below, Mackintosh HD

Then Bootcamp which I can not access.

Will the installer be in the yosemite package I am downloading?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First up go into BootCamp Assistant and remove the BootCamp partition and yes use Lion Diskmaker X, and use the thumb drive to boot from by holding down 'C' after the chime, and format the 1TB drive. This will erase everything, go back to the Installer and proceed.

The reason why the App store shows no purchases, did the iMac come with mavericks?

OP
R
Reaction score
I have tried to remove the partition through bootcamp but it will not let me.

It gives me the error message

Bootcamp assistant can not be used.

The disk is not journaled. You must enable journaling using Disk Utility before using the Boot Camp Assistant.

The checkbox is greyed out (for add/remove windows 7) I Can not click it.

I have gone into Disk utility, RAID tab.

Raid set name untitled RAID set 1
Format Mac OS extended (journaled)
RAID type Mirrored RAID set

Yes Mavericks was already installed.

OP
R
Reaction score
This time it has allowed me to click enable journaling.

I have gone back into Bootcamp and it says

"The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition.
The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows."

I can see what is inside the part ion now which I have been unable to until now.

It contains a pic of a HD labelled BOOTCAMP

An installer icon
A network icon
Mackintosh HD
and remote disc.

OP
R
Reaction score
Whoo!!!

I now have yosemite installed and running fine, bootcamp has windows working fine too.

When I had parrallels installed I could switch between the two operating systems using 2 fingers on the mouse.

Is that the only way?

If I install it again will I encounter compatibility issues?

Thanks again for all the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes Paralells is one way of jumping between operating systems without restarting. Reinstalling via Paralells should present no problems other than, maybe, Microsoft trying to tell you you cann use the activation code. This usually only takes a phone call.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.