Unable to login on old Apple TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I am trying to setup an old Apple TV as a spare.

I have changed my password since I last used it, so I had to logout.

Now I type in my long and complex password and it gives me a code on my iPhone, telling me to type my password and this code in the password box. I do that and it says incorrect. Presumably, by the time I have typed in the password and the code the latter has expired again?

Do I just append the code after the password? No spaces?

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi and welcome.

As I understand it, the code you get sent to your iPhone is usually a 6 digit number and it is that number you insert. Not a repeat of the Password plus the code - just the 6 digit code.

That is the general principle of Two Factor Authentication (2FA).

Maybe your circumstances are different?? :)

Ian

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I tried that without success.

Eventually, I did manage to use my iPhone to type in the password and then the password + code in time.

Oddly enough, since then, all my other devices have required me to confirm my password and passcode again. Very odd.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Well, thank you very much for posting back. Yes, your circumstances are different, it seems.

Maybe the whole business was triggered by your change of password - I presume you meant your Apple ID password??

If it was your Apple ID password that you changed, Apple might reasonably expect you to verify this on all your trusted devices? I don't know for certain.

Anyway, all is sorted.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If it was your Apple ID password that you changed, Apple might reasonably expect you to verify this on all your trusted devices? I don't know for certain.

A bit late reply to this.... Yes. If you change your Apple ID password, Apple will have you verify it on all your trusted devices. At least that has been my experience.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.