Unable to install bootcamp

Reaction score
Hi, im a newbie mac user. Just got my mac a few days back

Its a macbook pro running on core 2 duo.

So i wanted to install a windows.............

As i ran boot camp, the error msg

" Your startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition "

My initial thoughts were that I had multiple partitions. ( My mac was bought from my school )

But a check revealed no hidden partitions. ( Disk Utility only showed 1 HDD Icon )

So I tried repairing, verifying the disk and all was good. However, I still couldnt install... anyone can help? !!

My current HDD is formatted to Mac OS Extended ( Journaled ) and there is only 1 partition... so i cant figure out whats wrong... help anyone?

PS: I just realised it was formatted Apple Partition Scheme.. Does this have any influence?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yeah it does have an influence. It's gotta be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and nothing else or it won't work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I've done a little searching and reparing permissions and the drive self through the OS boot CD that came with your mac should fix the problem. It seems to be that somehow there is a hidden partition that isn't detected. And I've heard the above can fix the problem. Others needed to do a full erase on the drive and repartition it from scratch.

Yeah otherwise I'm stumped of your problem. Does anyone else know what can be done about this?

OP
D
Reaction score
appreciate ur help dude. But a repair yielded no results... No repairs were needed =/

" 1 HFS volume checked "

" No repairs were necessary "

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I've had this too, AFAIK there's no solution, and it's bloody annoying - it refuses to install, but won't say why. Mine did it after I SuperDupered my system to a larger hard disk. I've since reinstalled from scratch, but I've yet to see if it works.

Reaction score
also having same problem with my mbp!!

i tried verifying and repairing the permissions and disk via the bootup disk 1, and even did an "erase and install" as some have suggested on this forum...but no luck :(

going to try to clean the free hdd space by "writing zeros" when i get back home, and then try installing bootcamp again. but my bets are on me having to do a complete "erase and install" :'(

Reaction score
hey, just managed to get bootcamp to partition...and now installing windows :D

here's what i did...

1. Erased Free Space (1 time) using Disk Utility
2. Verified & Repaired Permissions
3. Verified & Repaired Disk
4. Used "Cocktail" to disable Dashboard (i did this coz i thought Dashboard runs in sleep mode in the background, and thought it might be the "something" that bootcamp couldnt move?!)

I then ran Bootcamp again, and it worked!!!

Now lets hope the windows installation goes smoothly....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.