Unable to detect wireless network

J

jessica

Hi my work does not have wireless, but an office upstairs does. I get onto the network just fine and it is pretty fast. However there is one room where all PC users can find the network, but I cannot. While theirs is less than 11mbps when they connect, I wondered if the airport card was weak or can I fix this somehow?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
it may be something you cant see, like pipes, or wires or something in the walls and/or ceilings of that room that block the ap cards signal somehow, did you make a new location in network preferences for your work?

OP
J

jessica

yup, did the same thing someone did on his dell and his works fine. maybe AP is inferior to dell's cards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The Airport is not inferior to the Dell card. However the Powerbooks antenna is known to not be the best. If you took an iBook in there I bet it would find it. Unfortunately that's just a downside to the Powerbook.

OP
J

jessica

schweb said:
The Airport is not inferior to the Dell card. However the Powerbooks antenna is known to not be the best. If you took an iBook in there I bet it would find it. Unfortunately that's just a downside to the Powerbook.

That is the very first time that I've heard this out of anyone. I am almost shocked. While it would require some research on my part, I'd have to venture to guess that this isn't 100% correct. I'm sorry to doubt, but it just simply seems silly.

What barriers do the PowerBooks have over the iBooks?

OP
M

meltbanana314

jessica said:
What barriers do the PowerBooks have over the iBooks?

iBooks are plastic. PowerBooks are aluminum (and the older models are titanium.)

Guess which materials block out 802.11x signals better?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Please do search, it's fact. Because of the the thinner body style as well as the metal exterior, the Powerbook airport antenna isn't as good as the iBook.

But I promise I do know what I'm talking about here ;).

BTW - Check out the sides of the Powerbook screen, there are little plastic strips. Their only purpose is for reception, without them it would be almost non-existent. Since the iBook is all plastic it can catch a signal much better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.