Unable to connect to wifi - 10.6.8

Reaction score
My ISP forced me to buy a 3.0 docsis modem, once installed I had to reset my router as well. My MB Pro connected to the newly setup network fine for about 30 min. Then just stopped working after having configured my network security. I am certain the issue has nothing to do with network security, allow me to explain...

When I select a neighbors locked network, click connect and guess at the password, the computer returns "invalid password". When I do the same on my own network which I previously connected to, it says "connection failed". This tells me that is has something to do with the storage of information about my network that it had previously connected to since implementing my desired settings for the network. "Connection Failed" is the error I repeatedly get. I am certain some cached info is not being updated or deleted. I tried deleting the .plist files, nothing. Tried restarting, nothing. Tries the "new location" trick, nothing.

Help would be appreciated. I am running 10.6.8.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Connection failed could be from a lot of things. Some things you might look at:

Is this problem isolated to just your MB Pro or are there other computers connecting with no issues?

Is is possible for the MB Pro to connect to someone else's network and hold the connection.

Did you change the type of security on your network? You should be using WPA2 with AES encryption.

Did you change the security level and make it higher on you router?

How old is the router? It could be failing.

That is all I can think of for now. If you can give me some answers to the questions I listed I will try to give you some suggestions.

Lisa

OP
S
Reaction score
Completely my fault, when i setup my access list i put the lan mac address instead of the wifi mac address.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
When I read your post - before you edited it - that was my thought. By limiting connections to mac addresses it is easy to enter the wrong one. I manage the servers at work and I had an issue pop up that turned out to be my fault - I had reversed the order of two numbers in a mac address rendering the access point ineffective. It happens

Just a brief note - while most are not sophisticated enough to figure this out, mac addresses can be spoofed which is why I have not used them for network id unless they have to have a static IP address, like for an access point, a networked printer or a server. But as I said most are not that sophisticated.

Glad you got it fixed.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.