• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Unable to back up iPhone

Reaction score
I have a new iPhone and need to backup in order to restore data to the new phone.

My phone will not back up (last successful backup Nov 2020 to iCloud). Apple support made various suggestions; however, none were successful. They believe this is because the software on my phone needs updating.

Photos are backed up in iCloud where I have a large amount of storage available. My phone also has nearly half its storage available. The concern is losing my text messages.

Apple are concerned if I update the software on my phone which may fix the backup issue, that there is a slight chance I may lose all of my data in the process. They suggested I screenshot my text messages. As you can appreciate, this would take a great deal of time, and isn't really ideal for storage, and retrieving in future.

I have tried a few third party app's that access and extract data, in order to save all my text messages and what's app messages to date in a readable format. Then I can attempt the software update on my phone with no risk of losing messages.

Unfortunately, this was not successful either. The diagnostic log showed the backup process is failing due to a corrupt voicemail, stat error: Device error (83) at path \"/.ba/mobile/Library/Voicemail/318.amr\”. I was told "The issue is on the iPhone itself. iOS fails to access one of your voicemails to back it up, and then the BackupAgent process stalls." I archived and deleted all voicemails, and the app's still failed.

I'm now told "it looks like an error coming back from the phone’s backup system".

I've also been told that the apps are unable to access and extract data from an iCloud backup, only iTunes backup, which I don't have.

I am desperate to resolve this asap and would be very grateful for any advice. Thanks.

Current phone: iPhone SE, iOS 14

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You can try iMazing to make backups of your messages. It's held in very high regard by most folks here.

As for the risk of losing your messages otherwise, if you have enabled Messages in iCloud, then you "should" be ok. If you have not been using it, then I'm not sure if enabling it now will move everything that exists to that point to iCloud. On your Mac (assuming you have one), this is set in Message's preferences. On your iPhone, in Settings » Messages, iMessage should be on; Send & Receive should be set to your iCloud ID and your phone number; and Text Message Forwarding set to every Apple device you are signed into that you want to read messages from. Also, in Settings » Apple ID (first item on top in Settings), tap iCloud and make sure Messages is toggled on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Also, contact you cellular service provider. They may have that feature available.

Is your new "Phone" an iPhone or other?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I have a new iPhone and need to backup in order to restore data to the new phone.
Maybe not. When I got a new iPhone, it prompted me to put the old one nearby. They found each other and after a confirmation process via the camera on the new (or old, I don't remember exactly), the data from the old was transferred to the new. No "middle man" at all. And all of my texts appeared on the new, just as on the old. I can't say about phone messages, I wipe them out shortly after listening.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.