Typed characters delay to display

cmm

Reaction score
I have a Mac-Air notebook that was purchased in 2012. I have OS X Mavericks 10.9.5, 1.8 GHZ Intel Core i5 processor with memory 8GB, and 251 GB Flash storage. Currently there’s 154.91 GB free storage space still available. On used space, photos takes up 30%, videos 21%, and Apps 18% that I don’t know what those are.
Please help me to solve my problems: For a while, some times, response was slow to start a web page, and when typing emails and the word processing , Words and Excel, it takes couple seconds to half minute after typing to see the alphabets that I just typed.
What’s the cause of these problems? Not enough free space? Need to upgrade to the most current OS X or almost time to get a new computer?
Thanks
CMM

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
A 1.8gHz processor is perhaps a bit slow for your needs. Sierra might be a little better but first you might like to check a few other things:
Run Disk Utility First Aid.
If your desktop is filled up with numerous files drag them all into a single folder and use that to store desktop items. Bear in mind the desktop is not a safe place to keep files long term. Keep the folder somewhere else and put an alias on the desktop.
Check your startup items System Preferences > Users and groups > Startup items. Get rid of any you don't need.
Check your Activity Monitor in Utilities under the CPU tab and see what is using most of your resources.
Eg. Firefox is a bit of a memory hog.
If you have things like an antivirus app running get rid of it, you don't need it.
Basically any background app could be using up your CPU resources.
If you have a HDD as apposed to an SSD you could run iDefrag.
Alternatively you could erase your HD and perform a clean install of macOS 10.12 Sierra.
Most importantly perform a full backup before attempting anything I have suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

OP
C

cmm

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your great advice. My fat figure just caused another more serious problem to my computer:(. Now I am scared to do anything. I will definitely try to update to newer version of OSX after I take care of my new problem first. CMM

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Great list of suggestions Rod!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.