two FB accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
i have friend asking me about FB .... macbook air
I am connected with adopted family and now would like to connect with biological family but don’t want adopted family to see... how do I do that?

i suggested creating another facebook account with different email. tho want to make sure the two will not link to each other.
can anyone shed light on this?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Understand that Facebook is a Social Network and that means that things will connect to each other somehow. So creating two separate profiles is fine, but you also have to ensure that those two profiles don't share the same friends, and those friends shouldn't have the same friends and so on.

The GOAL of Facebook is to allow you to find others that you might not be directly connected to, but connected to your friends and so on.

Facebook does have levels of privacy for your content, but you cannot expect the same level of privacy settings for all of your friends, otherwise it wouldn't be a social network.

It is impossible to say if the two profiles wouldn't ever get connected through the larger network and since FB wasn't designed to specifically avoid that scenario, be aware of that possibility.

Also, when posting non-Apple/Mac related stuff, please pay attention to which forum you are posting to. I moved it here to General.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Suggest the friend creates a private group with a neutral name, rather than another profile, to which they invite members of the biological family. It can be set so that no one can see who administers the group other than members. The creator decides who is accepted. My facebook is having a hissy fit otherwise I would do some screenshots.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@lori5060

I think Sue’s idea is a great way forward if you want to stick with FB.

I just wanted to remind you that as your two groups are of relatively small number, and even if they were larger, you can create very secure Groups within WhatsApp - or Apple’s Messages if all of them had Apple devices. That is also true of FaceTime with the same caveat.

The two message apps I mentioned allow sharing photos and videos as well as text.

Just a thought.

Ian

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Understand that Facebook is a Social Network and that means that things will connect to each other somehow. So creating two separate profiles is fine, but you also have to ensure that those two profiles don't share the same friends, and those friends shouldn't have the same friends and so on.

The GOAL of Facebook is to allow you to find others that you might not be directly connected to, but connected to your friends and so on.

Facebook does have levels of privacy for your content, but you cannot expect the same level of privacy settings for all of your friends, otherwise it wouldn't be a social network.

It is impossible to say if the two profiles wouldn't ever get connected through the larger network and since FB wasn't designed to specifically avoid that scenario, be aware of that possibility.

Also, when posting non-Apple/Mac related stuff, please pay attention to which forum you are posting to. I moved it here to General.
thank you for moving my post. I often just dont know where to post.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my friend is wanting to connect with adopted and step family separately
and doesn't what them to connect nor see info about the other.

I set up a new email and then a new FB account using email and not using phone number. just to see if it would work so I could help her. all worked well and I was looking at FB account. I then signed out.

just now, tried to get on to new FB to check out a post that someone told me about... wanting to login to my new one and never got that option...

up popped my old deactivated one! and got message that my account is deactivated and I needed to provide a number to prove who I was.
my old facebook account is deactivated. and is not connected to the new FB account I set up.

is FB really that smart to figure out I am the same person even tho I have used a totally different email address and name etc. the only place I put my ph# is signing up for new gmail account.

so I deleted all my history and web history. then was able to login to new FB account. then they wanted a ph# so I ended up entering that. then they wanted a pic. I selected a picture but not photo of myself. now my account is being looked at. I suspect they want an actual photo!!

so what is happening???

tho i am guessing that I really shouldn't be posting on this forum about non apple things.... if I'm doing something I shouldn't be...please please tell me and I will stop!

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I think we've provided as much help with this as we can. Creating false identities and openly saying that you've done so I'm sure goes against FB's term of use and so on.

Take the info we've already provided and give it to your friend or have them find some alternate, but we're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.