Two-Factor Authentication on Apple Devices - constant pressure to comply

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In Bali there is a lot of corn grown, mid season you see little stalls on the side of the road selling fresh, steamed and BBQ'd fresh corn. The BBQ'd corn is roasted over charcoal made from coconut husks and smothered in garlic butter. It is SO good, I miss it a lot.

I would never have expected something like corn to grow in a tropical climate like that of Bali. But if you want to see some real corn growing come to Kansas and Iowa, USA. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I would never have expected something like corn to grow in a tropical climate like that of Bali.

My thought as well, but it seems that might be changing...

Bali corn farmers are switching over to citrus growing

I must admit that using lots of garlic butter seems like a lovely delicious idea on some nice sweet corn.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
I like 2FA for the security. I have multiple devices where the passcode arrives, so it really works well.
That is great for you Jake. Unfortunately I only have one device to receive the passcode, i.e., my phone, and if it is not around when I need the code, then it is a huge pain. Of course you can say why don't you keep the phone with you 24/7, then it is an obvious question with a self-explanatory answer. Just to clarify, I am for 2FA in concept but don't think we should be abide by it with no choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
That is great for you Jake. Unfortunately I only have one device to receive the passcode, i.e., my phone, and if it is not around when I need the code, then it is a huge pain. Of course you can say why don't you keep the phone with you 24/7, then it is an obvious question with a self-explanatory answer. Just to clarify, I am for 2FA in concept but don't think we should be abide by it with no choice.
Well, you need to start getting used to it because more and more companies, banks, online merchants, etc, are going to it. I'm not sure why you can't have your phone with you (it's not exactly self-explanatory), but if it's the only Apple device you have, then when you need to do something with your Apple account, have it nearby. Frankly, I'd keep it nearby just about all the time, given how many institutions, merchants, etc, are going to 2FA and want you to have a contact device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Unfortunately, for security, you will have to sacrifice your convenience. The companies are doing it, to make it harder to access your information, and to also protect their investments in you.

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

As others have said, and with no offence, you will have to get used to 2FA and if you only have one device to which the 6 digit code is sent, then yes, you will have to carry your iPhone around with you.

The alternative is identity theft, security intrusions and your credit card used by thieves which have hacked into another company that holds your data - all of which are a nightmare to sort out.

I have experienced this and it's scary beyond belief.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Almost every legitimate on line reseller has gone to using some form of 2FA. What they will usually do is send a 6 digit code to your iPhone, Android, or your email address in order to verify your identity. After receiving the code, you enter it to an inquiry in order to positively identify yourself.

That's somewhat different from what Apple does, however, it all points to having to keep your iPhone or Android with you or at least close by when at home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I know some people in my family use their landline phone numbers, and they receive automated calls with the 6 digit code.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know some people in my family use their landline phone numbers, and they receive automated calls with the 6 digit code.

We no longer have a landline phone but I can see that as another good way to receive the code. I like getting the code by text because then I have a copy of it for record.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I've seen offers to use smartphones, landlines, email, and SMS to get the 2FA codes to you. What is important is that if an account you have offers 2FA you should take it as soon as you can, to protect against someone hacking into your account and setting up 2FA to go to THEM, not you. It's very, very hard to convince the account managers that you are the legitimate account holder with everything says that other bad guy has set it up. Get there, get it set up for you and keep it current.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I agree Jake and I've been an exponent of this view for a while especially in regard to social media and email accounts. Facebook, Google, WhatsApp, Instagram, Twitter, Microsoft, just to name the main ones. As my grandmother used to say, "An ounce of prevention beats a ton of cure every time."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.