Trying to use Facetime on Mac OS Catalina

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
FaceTime will work over Wi-Fi only, as long as both parties have an Apple/iCloud ID and are signed into it in the FaceTime app. My daughter and mother in law both have iPad 2 Wi-Fi only and they make and receive FT all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP retina, 2013 Mac Air, iPhone SE 1st
I do not have phone number associated with my Mac Air and Pro and I can use Face Time on my computers and also use FaceTime on my iPhone. My iPhone has a different email account than my computers and it does not need Wifi to receive FaceTime.
As for the OP's original problem I suggest putting the person in contacts. When you put them in contacts if they have an iPhone or Mac that is face time available it will show FaceTime or messaging in BLUE.
If that contact is not available it will be in lower case grey. .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021), Apple M1 Pro CPU, 16 GB, 512G SSD
I use WhatsApp app on my Mac to communicate with people who do not have iPhones and Macs. Until fairly recently WhatsApp did not support video calls. Now it works very well.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I use WhatsApp app on my Mac to communicate with people who do not have iPhones and Macs. Until fairly recently WhatsApp did not support video calls. Now it works very well.

Yes, that's correct. We pointed that out in reply #19. Note though, that the other party must be using a device with a camera.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.