Trying to setup 'extended display' in 10.15.7 Catalina

Reaction score
I have 2 20" inch monitors that are currently setup as separate displays, but I use mostly Logic Pro and was hoping there was a way to make the 2 monitors as 1 large monitor so that when I'm in full screen mode it would use both displays and show Logic across both (the more screen real estate with Logic the better). I see mirroring as an option but can't find any options to use both as 1 display. 1 monitor is using display port (this is an older mac mini) and the other HDMI so maybe this wasn't an option.

Thanks,

David

Reaction score
This is actually easy to do.

1. Open System Preferences
2. Click on Mission Control
3. Uncheck Displays have seperate Spaces
4. Log Outof OS X

When you log back in in your displays will act as One. The Dock and Menubar will stay only on 1 of the displays.

To arrange the displays:
1. Open System Preferences
2. Click on Displays
3. Click on Arrange

Under Arrange you can arrange the position of each display. Also you can move the menubar to which display you would like the menubar and dock to display on.

OP
S
Reaction score
Mission Control to Major Tom - Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for.

Enjoy your day!

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Mission Control to Major Tom - Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for.

Enjoy your day!

David
Did that actually work? I ask because I have tried that same setup and windows for an app won't "bridge" the monitors, but appear on one or the other.

OP
S
Reaction score
It did for Logic - haven't yet tried with any other apps though. Did try Chrome just now and it can extend across both monitors. Can't go 'full screen' with the green arrow though; it just goes full screen on 1 monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It did for Logic - haven't yet tried with any other apps though. Did try Chrome just now and it can extend across both monitors. Can't go 'full screen' with the green arrow though; it just goes full screen on 1 monitor.
Huh, wonder why it didn't work for me. When I try to make any application window large enough to cross the boundary, it cuts off what won't fit on one and doesn't bridge at all.

But I'm glad it worked for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.