trying to partition and install Windows with boot camp

Reaction score
Ok. Just installed Snow Leopard. Trying to install boot camp from utilities and i am getting this error message>>>>

"Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again".

What do i need to do and how to do it? Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Is your drive currently partitioned? If it is, bootcamp need to restore your disk as one whole partition. After that is done, then you can use bootcamp to repartition for windows installation.

Reaction score
Ok. When you start up bootcamp to install windows, you will be given 2 options. One to start windows installation and another to create bootcamp partition. When you select 'create bootcamp partition' you will be asked to make the two partitions whole again. Now if you have data inside the other partition, you have to save all of them in the OSX partition. Bootcamp will not delete your data as long as it is in the OSX partition. Once its made into one partition under the OSX partition, restart bootcamp to partition the drive.

Funny thing is that you can't use disk utility to partition the drive and install windows via bootcamp. you have to partition using bootcamp itself. Hope that help.

Anyway, I can't be sure if you are having the problem as I assumed. If you are unsure, please backup all your data on all partitions before proceeding as advised.

Good luck.

OP
M
Reaction score
I guess my problem is when i an going to start up boot camp i am getting the error message above and it wont let me continue.

OP
M
Reaction score
Have a MAC Pro and decided to install another hard drive to just run windows on

Ok i think there maybe an easy fix to this....maybe not.

Have a MAC Pro and decided to install another hard drive to just run windows on. Went via boot camp and selected the second hard drive to install windows on. Followed the instructions. The system shut down then restarted. On the restarted it's telling me this on a black screen.

Select CD rom to boot from:

My keyboard won't work so i can't select an option. Any way to reset my computer? I know i should have probably gone to a pc wired keyboard? Don't know. Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: merged similar threads

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.