Trying to delete application on MacBook Air 2010

Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently purchased a Mac Book Pro for my son and now use his MacBook Air 2010 as a secondary computer. On his Air, he had BitTorrent installed, so I decided to delete it. Something quite peculiar to me, the BitTorrent did not show itself in the spotlight.
8Xq2P6R.jpg

However when I clicked the "Show in Finder," three BitTorrents showed up.
jcv7w23.jpg

I drag the three icons into the trash can, but this pops up.
Ym5pClo.png

I click "Show in Enclosing Folder" and this is what it looks like.
gn9FnnJ.png

Any ideas? It says that the last date modified was Oct 22, 2008 1:36 AM ~~ Note thesis a 2010 MacBook Air.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's likely the bit torrent program is running in background which is why it can't be deleted. Open your Activity Monitor, find the bit torrent program and shut it down. Then try deleting it again. If it has an uninstaller associated with it, you should use the uninstaller to remove it.

OP
E
Reaction score
no luck, I checked the Activity monitor but I did not see any BitTorrent program running. I might check it again, which one is it, CPU. memory, Energy, etc?

Also I could not find any uninstaller for BitTorrent, any other advice, maybe some terminal commands?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It should show up as using "CPU" in the activity monitor. Try booting your MacBook Air in Safe mode (hold down shift key upon startup) and once in Safe mode try removing the Bit Torrent program again.

OP
E
Reaction score
nope, no bit torrent in CPU activity monitor. After opening up mac in safe mode, where would I search for BItTorrent and close it? Then, do I just shut down my laptop and turn it back on and automatically reboot to normal side?

C

chas_m

You don't have the BT program installed. What you're finding are three BT *installer images,* not the actual program itself. Seems like your son didn't want you to know about that and removed the program for you, but forgot to erase his tracks.

OP
E
Reaction score
You don't have the BT program installed. What you're finding are three BT *installer images,* not the actual program itself. Seems like your son didn't want you to know about that and removed the program for you, but forgot to erase his tracks.

But whenever I open the "installers," the program still opens? Is there anyway I can completely delete the program/ installer? I tried going to safe mode, but I still couldn't find BitTorrent in the Activity Monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It sounds like you may have some permission problems that might need repairing using Disk Utility if you can't delete the apps, but it may not help as BitTorrent.app doesn't use an installer to install the app.

BTW: BitTorrent.app doesn't do anything in the background unless it's open and running.

And BTW#2: BitTorrent and its BitTorrent Sync apps are excellent apps for transferring files to any iDevice you might have. ;)

And as chasm says, those BitTorrent *installer images* are just that, so just click to select and move them to the Trash if needed, and don't open them or double-click them.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You could instal AppTrap a small utility that works with the Trash Bin. When you trash an app it asks if you would like to trash any/all associated files. Click yes and it will cleanly remove apps, associated files and preferences.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.