Try a different DNS

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Some will know that i purchased a new M1 14" MBP in Australia and when I returned to Bali I did not have to change much other than the "Location" in Network preferences to Bali Home a location that had been transferred to this MBP during the Data Migration from my old 2015 MBP.

Everything was working fine until a couple of days ago when my VPN (Express) started acting up. I updated it, checked it's preferences, changed server locations, uninstalled and reinstalled it via Terminal you name it I tried it, or at least I thought I had.

I contacted the 24Hr chat help line and despite their best efforts the problem, although intermittent ,persisted. Today It started again, nothing up or down when the VPN was on.

Then I had a flash of inspiration. The title gives it away. Check my DNS and low and behold it's the one allocated by my ISP. I changed it to the primary and secondary for CloudFlare with Google Public DNS as 3rd and 4th.

Problem fixed. My browser is also noticeably faster although it was okay before except when the VPN stopped working obviously. Cloudflare has a strong focus on speed and security which I like but is no faster than Google Public DNS on my testing.
For a list, explanation and description of the best DNS for 2022 see here; Best DNS servers of 2022: Boost your internet speed with these free, public services

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did you change your DNS on the router settings, or on the Mac settings? Which settings rule? I find that sometimes my (Verizon) router DNS settings change without my doing so.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Same here Rod, I'm with Verizon and I can use their DNS for most things, but when I am on my work VPN and want to access the work-related sites, they all fail. I switch to the Google DNS' and everything works quickly.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Ferrarr, I only changed the DNS settings on my MBP but I intend to change them on the router.
Yes, my ISP will occasionally change DNS so it's not just Verizon. It think this is why my VPN was intermittently working. VPNs are not widely used here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.