Trouble installing Vista on new Macbook

Reaction score
I have a Macbook with the newest OSX installed on it. Used boot camp to create a Windows partion and when it gets to the part where it needs the Windows CD I pop it in but boot camp says it cannot find the Windows installer CD.

When I pop the CD in I can browse it and see all of the files yet boot camp cannot see it nor can I boot from the CD. If I pop the CD in a Windows PC it tries to install Windows immediately so I know the CD is good and the combo drive on the Mac is also ok.

Is there a trick to getting this to work?

Vista Home Basic RC1

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is there a trick to getting this to work? Vista Home Basic RC1

A release candidate version of Vista might not work. You should use either a MS boxed version of Vista full install or an OEM system builders Vista full install.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I posted incorrect information; it was supposed to say SP1 not RC1. I purchased Vista Home Basic SP1 Full from microsoft's website in downloadable format. I unpacked the installation files they provided, created an ISO and put it on a CD.

The CD works fine when used on a PC and the Mac can browse the CD and see all files on it but I bootcamp will not recognize it nor can I boot from the CD.

Does this change anything?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry for the late reply.....

Although the downloaded ISO "should" burn to a bootable DVD that supposedly will work with Boot Camp, some have had problems with this method. Contact MS and have them send you a copy of Vista Home Basic on DVD media. Since you already have a legal product key and license, they may even send you a copy for free. Just give customer service a call and explain.

In the meantime, try burning another copy but use the slowest speed possible to create the burn.

Regards.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To add to chscag excellent advice, You said the CD tried to install on the Windows machine. Can you power down the Windows machine with that CD/DVD you burned in the drive and have the Windows machine BOOT from your burned Vista? If not, that is the issue.

The Windows CD has to be able to boot up the computer for Bootcamp to be able to use it.

Was the download from Microsoft an ISO Image?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.