• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Trip to the Natural History museum!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Just wanted to share some pictures from today! There are also some from the California Science Center.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Very cool. I love all of that Earth history and evolution stuff. It's awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Thanks for sharing these Netty, they are awesome pics and interesting too. I love museums, could get lost in one all day and still feel like I didn't see it all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Museums are cool.. When I went to NYC a few years ago, we went to the American Museum of Natural History. There wasn't enough time in the day to explore the whole thing. One of the main exhibits was related to the pyramids and king Tut and all that stuff. Very cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
Those are great photos.
Netty, if you have not visited The Getty Center or the The Getty Villa, they are both worth the visit. You have to make parking reservations for the Villa.

http://www.getty.edu/visit/

Reaction score
I wonder why they call it the "natural" history museum?? I have been trying (unsuccessfully thus far) to find the "unnatural" history museum.:confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
very nice, i was at the King Tut exhibit in Philly on sunday, it was awesome. hasnt been in the country for like 30 years too.
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Great pics Netty!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I wonder why they call it the "natural" history museum?? I have been trying (unsuccessfully thus far) to find the "unnatural" history museum.:confused:

I'm guessing that "natural" means non-industrial or pre-modern. An "unnatural" history museum would be something like an auto museum, or a train museum, or Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry.

OP
Netty4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Those are great photos.
Netty, if you have not visited The Getty Center or the The Getty Villa, they are both worth the visit. You have to make parking reservations for the Villa.

http://www.getty.edu/visit/

I've been to the Getty Center but I haven't been to The Getty Villa. I've seen pictures and it looks beautiful! :) I love greek and roman art.

Thanks for the comments everyone!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a place for religion:

mu·se·um
noun
a depository for collecting and displaying objects having scientific or historical or artistic value

mu·se·um [myoo-zee-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
a building or place where works of art, scientific specimens, or other objects of permanent value are kept and displayed.
[Origin: 1605–15; < L m?séum place sacred to the Muses, building devoted to learning or the arts (referring esp. to the scholarly institute founded in Alexandria about 280 b.c.) < Gk Mouse?on, equiv. to Moûs(a) Muse + -eion suffix of place]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source
mu·se·um (my??-z?'?m) Pronunciation Key
n. A building, place, or institution devoted to the acquisition, conservation, study, exhibition, and educational interpretation of objects having scientific, historical, or artistic value.

[Latin M?s?um, from Greek Mouseion, shrine of the Muses, from Mouseios, of the Muses, from Mousa, Muse; see men-1 in Indo-European roots.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Online Etymology Dictionary - Cite This Source

museum
1615, "the university building in Alexandria," from L. museum "library, study," from Gk. mouseion "place of study, library or museum," originally "a seat or shrine of the Muses," from Mousa "Muse." Earliest use in ref. to Eng. institutions was of libraries (e.g. the British Museum); sense of "building to display objects" first recorded 1683.

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas Harper
WordNet - Cite This Source
museum

noun
a depository for collecting and displaying objects having scientific or historical or artistic value

WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been to the Getty Center but I haven't been to The Getty Villa. I've seen pictures and it looks beautiful! :) I love greek and roman art.

Thanks for the comments everyone!! :D

Netty, do you have some photos from the Getty Center?
Too bad that they don't allow is to take pictures of certain objects. I was told that if the exhibit is borrowed from another museum or country, you are not allowed to take photos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a place for religion:

mu·se·um
noun

mu·se·um [myoo-zee-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
a building or place where works of art, scientific specimens, or other objects of permanent value are kept and displayed.
[Origin: 1605–15; < L m?séum place sacred to the Muses, building devoted to learning or the arts (referring esp. to the scholarly institute founded in Alexandria about 280 b.c.) < Gk Mouse?on, equiv. to Moûs(a) Muse + -eion suffix of place]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source
mu·se·um (my??-z?'?m) Pronunciation Key
n. A building, place, or institution devoted to the acquisition, conservation, study, exhibition, and educational interpretation of objects having scientific, historical, or artistic value.

[Latin M?s?um, from Greek Mouseion, shrine of the Muses, from Mouseios, of the Muses, from Mousa, Muse; see men-1 in Indo-European roots.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Online Etymology Dictionary - Cite This Source

museum
1615, "the university building in Alexandria," from L. museum "library, study," from Gk. mouseion "place of study, library or museum," originally "a seat or shrine of the Muses," from Mousa "Muse." Earliest use in ref. to Eng. institutions was of libraries (e.g. the British Museum); sense of "building to display objects" first recorded 1683.

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas Harper
WordNet - Cite This Source
museum

noun

WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.

absoluetly right. thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are welcomed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.