Transferring files, PC to Mac

Reaction score
I read some posts on this subject, but I'm not entirely clear about it. My PC died while I was trying to hook up a new printer. I was given an iPad as a gift from my daughters and have fallen in love with it. I'm now considering switching to a Mac.

My PC files are backed up on a Seagate Free Agent external hard drive. Their instructions state: "drive is formatted NTFS, you will need to reformat for Mac using Disk Utility." Since my computer died I can't reformat, and even if I could I understand that would wipe out all my data. Is this something the geniuses in the Mac Store will help me in with?

And, assuming my files CAN be transferred, will I be able to use them, say work with a MS Word doc?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The Mac should be able to read the drive just fine. It can't write directly to NTFS drives without additional software. Many types of PC files can be used directly (word documents, pdf files, jpegs, etc) as long as they weren't stored in some proprietary format on the Seagate.

We can help with more answers as the process goes along.

I believe the Mac Store guys can help with this but it is also relatively easy to do this yourself. Windows Migration Assistant v1.0.5.7

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you, Slydude, for responding to my questions. I'm afraid I know very little about computers, either PC or Macs.

When you say "many types of PC files can be used directly as long as they weren't stored in some proprietary format on the Seagate", how do I find that information? "Can be used directly", does that mean with the additional software? and what is that software?

I'm so glad I found this site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 iMac 27, 4Ghz i7, 1TB SSD, 32GB, M395X, Pegasus R4, 2015 MPB, 2x 2013 MacBook Air 13s
...When you say "many types of PC files can be used directly as long as they weren't stored in some proprietary format on the Seagate", how do I find that information? "Can be used directly", does that mean with the additional software? and what is that software?...

To be clear, just plug the Seagate drive into your Mac. It can read the physical files, although it cannot write more files to that drive or alter them, since Macs only read NTFS not write it. There is a 3rd party app called Paragon NTFS which allows Macs to write NTFS. However once you get your data copied to the Mac you normally don't need NTFS write access.

For PC/Mac data interchange, format portable drives or USB sticks as exFAT. Mac OS X can read and write exFAT, just like a Windows PC. Reformatting can be done on either PC or Mac. On the Mac you use Disk Utility. Obviously any data on those devices must be backed up first, as formatting wipes them clean.

Re MS Word files, it's just like moving those files to new Windows PC which doesn't have Word installed. You either install Word or use an app which understands Word format. Likewise with all other files: Excel, etc.

Some common file types such as .PDF, .MOV, .JPG can either be read natively by OS X or there are free viewers, e.g, Adobe Reader for PDF.

For Word/Excel your options include:

(1) Getting MS Office for Mac: Microsoft Office for Mac | Office For Mac

(2) Installing free Office-compatible software such as OpenOffice: https://www.openoffice.org/ or LibreOffice: Home | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Fun Project - Fantastic People

(3) Uploading your documents to Google Drive which converts them to Google Docs format. This is safe and secure, and also allows off-line access to the documents without internet connection: https://www.google.com/drive/

(4) Installing Boot Camp or Parallels to run your existing Windows apps on Mac OS X. Boot Camp is built into OS X; Parallels is a 3rd party app you purchase: Run Windows on Mac - Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac

For just quickly viewing documents, OS X has a built-in feature called "Quick Look" that knows most file formats. Just select the document and press the space bar. With no other software it will usually allow viewing the file.

Don't worry about this area. Millions of people have already done this and there are solutions for any issue you encounter. Post any further questions or concerns here.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you so much! This is amazing. Now all I have to do is decide on which Mac to get. Do I ask questions about my various options here, or should I start a new thread?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 iMac 27, 4Ghz i7, 1TB SSD, 32GB, M395X, Pegasus R4, 2015 MPB, 2x 2013 MacBook Air 13s
Thank you so much! This is amazing. Now all I have to do is decide on which Mac to get. Do I ask questions about my various options here, or should I start a new thread?

I'd say post a new thread on this forum and include the specifics of your workflow and goals. E.g, what PC you now have, how you use it, what software, and projections for any future changes such as plans to start editing video, etc.

Include whether you need mobile use such as a laptop.

PCs and Macs can also easily network together and share files, printers, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.