Transferring files from Powerbook G4 to Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz OS X El Capitan
I'm buying a new MacBook Pro and want to transfer files and settings from my old PowerBook G4. The problem is that I cannot use the Apple Target Mode feature to connect the computers because the Powerbook is only running OS X 10.4.11, which is too old a version.

I know that I can transfer copies of documents, pictures etc. using drag & drop onto an external hard drive, but I want to know how to export all my emails from Apple Mail and also bookmarks from Safari.

I was wondering if I can just make a copy of all the mailboxes from Mail and just import them into the Mail Application on the new MacBook Pro? Will they be recognised as its a different OS and processor?

Any advice would be appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not being familiar with Tiger, I don't know if it includes the "Migration Assistant.app"? But if it does, this may be the best way to transfer those files and settings that you can. Since Tiger is pre-Intel and includes Rosetta for running PPC apps, there may be apps that you have which will no longer run on your new MacBook Pro. The Migration Assistant (if available) should be able to transfer mail and the Safari bookmarks. Otherwise, you can always use the export function of Mail and the import function of the new Mail app. Make sure that you backup everything on your Powerbook before starting the migration.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
According to this article Tiger shipped with an early version of the Migration Assistant. IIRC it was a bit twitchy for some users. It could also be a bit slow on some of the Power PC machines so give it plenty of time. If it hangs near the end of the process reboot and check to see if everything you need transferred. Sometimes it sees to wait till it was about to quit before hanging.

Sometimes I've had to run it a second time to get everything transferred.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz OS X El Capitan
Thanks. I'll give migration assistant a try but in Macbook Pro manual it says that it has to be at least OS X 10.6 for it to work OK, hence my post for an alternative method.
BTW OS X 10.4.11 is the max that Powerbook can take.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It depends upon exactly which PowerBook G4 you have. That series of computers ran for about a five year period. Some can only go as far as 10.4.11 but the later ones can go as high as 10.5.8. We'll need to know the exact specs to tell for sure.

Unless you already have a 10.5 retail disc I might not bother with that if I were you. Those discs sometimes go for more on e-Bay than I'd probably be willing to spend own a machine of that vintage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.