transferring files from one MacBook Pro to new MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I spent 3 days thinking my info was being transferred wirelessly to my new MacBook Pro. Alas, after all is said and done, not all of the files transferred. Help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The best way to transfer data from an older Mac to a brand new one is to use Time Machine and the Migration Assistant. Transferring data wirelessly will not only take forever and as you found out not all your data gets moved.

OP
K
Reaction score
Transfer from older MacBook Pro to new one

Thank you for you reply! I used Migration Assistant but not Time Machine. I am remiss in learning and understanding Time Machine so I need to do some reading up and try it again.

Reaction score
Yea time machine backs up everything your applications your system folder the extensions needed to run your apps and even documents music and movies.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You don't need a cable. Just make a full Time Machine backup of your old Mac to an external hard drive and then attach that drive to your new Mac. Run the Migration Assistant but be careful because it will create another account which can be confusing. The best way to do the above is before you create an account on the new Mac and when you turn it on for the first time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.