Transferring Favourites

R

RonaldCS

I am in the process of setting up my eMac while I wait for internet facilities. I have successfully transferred my address book, but have a problem with my Favourites.

I have transferred a Favourites.html file as directed but have been unable to move it to the Library and it seems to have ended up on the Clipboard. How can I move it from there to its proper destination?

Thanks in anticipation

Ronald

OP
B

Badger

To transfer Internet Explorer's Favorites, go to IE on the old machine and export the favorites file and copy the exported file to the new machine (sounds like you did this). Open IE on the new machine and import the favorites file. After IE imports the file it will store it where it is supposed to be. You can also import your IE favorites into Safari.
Badger

OP
R

RonaldCS

I must be doing something wrong. On my "Switch" CD I have a folder marked "Favourites" containing a file "Favourites html" which I drag across to Internet Explorer which then shows all my favourites. However, as soon as I remove the CD clicking on Bookmark brings up "File cannot be found".

I did look for an "import" command on Internet Explorer, but couldn't find one. Am I missing something?

OP
B

Badger

In IE go to the favorites menu and click on Organize Favorites. When the new window opens go to the File menu. Import and Export Favorite commands are there. You can try to import the favorites html file (not the folder) you have on the CD but if it doesn't work you should go back to the old machine and export it then import that file into IE on the eMac.
Badger

OP
R

RonaldCS

Thanks again. This appeared to work until I removed the CD when all the favourites vanished once more!

In the end I tried the help line when a very helpful young woman went through what you had suggested but added dragging the file to Documents where it stayed and could be loaded on to IE.

Now all I have to do is wait for the magic CD from my ISP and I shall once again be able to use my favourites!

Best wishes

Ronald

OP
K

kamaferro

Help with IE favorites transfer to Safari

Badger said:
To transfer Internet Explorer's Favorites, go to IE on the old machine and export the favorites file and copy the exported file to the new machine (sounds like you did this). Open IE on the new machine and import the favorites file. After IE imports the file it will store it where it is supposed to be. You can also import your IE favorites into Safari.
Badger

How to transfer IE favorites to Safari ? I have all favorites inside system folder/preferences/explorer transferred from my previous iMac.

Also do you know a simple way to transfer address book from OE ?

Thanks for your help

Ciao

Ferro

OP
R

RonaldCS

kamaferro said:
How to transfer IE favorites to Safari ? I have all favorites inside system folder/preferences/explorer transferred from my previous iMac.

Also do you know a simple way to transfer address book from OE ?

Thanks for your help

Ciao

Ferro

I dragged the address book file on to a new CD using Nero and transferred it that way

Cheers

OP
K

kamaferro

Importing address book from OE to Mail

RonaldCS said:
I dragged the address book file on to a new CD using Nero and transferred it that way

Cheers

I don't understand, which is the address book file in OE ? And what is NEro ? I am totally new to Mac

Could y ou please explain in details so I can follow

Thanks & ciao

Ferro

OP
R

RonaldCS

You can find the OE address book in Windows by doing a search for *.wab

Nero is a programme for writing to CDs which can then be used to transfer any files to another machine (or kept as backups). If you have it, it is possible to drag and drop the files you want to copy to it and then burn them on the CD.

Hope this helps.

OP
K

kamaferro

Importing address book from OE to Mail

You can find the OE address book in Windows by doing a search for *.wab

Nero is a programme for writing to CDs which can then be used to transfer any files to another machine (or kept as backups). If you have it, it is possible to drag and drop the files you want to copy to it and then burn them on the CD.

Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

Sorry Ronald, but I am talking of OE for MAc, not Windows, please clarify

Thanks

Ferro

OP
R

RonaldCS

Sorry Ferro, I misunderstood. The only OE I know is in Windows, and I only know of Mail in Mac.

I am in the process myself of switching from a Windows computer to a Mac, so my knowledge is very sketchy.

Hope someone else can help you,

Ronald

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.