Transferring Date Directly from iPhone Issues with another iCloud and DRM Issues?

D

dlwburner

Hello,

I just got my new iPhone 13 in and I'm eager to set it up; However, I'm running into issues when using the Transfer Directly from iPhone feature. So about midway through the beginning of the transfer, I started getting this repetitive message saying something to the effect of "iPhone has files that were downloaded by another Apple ID, sign in to complete transfer". I was given the option to skip transferring/downloading that file, but it kept popping up with many different iClouds. After about 50 manual skips I stopped. There wasn't an option to mass skip and I had no clue how many more files I would have to manually skip. I was almost certain this was a DRM music protection issue. I also noticed a lot of the iCloud emails were music name based, so I had assumed it had something to do with my massive music library (20,000 songs) and songs I've downloaded in the past?

However, (this is where my confusion stems from) when I searched for DRM protected songs in my library
using this guide , there weren't enough to justify the amount of manual skips I endured. There were only a handful of Protected AAC Songs and ironically all of them were purchased by me. Hyptohetically, logging into my iCloud would remove this issue entirely.

My question I suppose is, could there possibly be hidden DRM protected songs? I currently see a few different types of audio in my iTunes; "AAC audio files", "MPEG audio files", "Purchased AAC audio files", and "Protected AAC audio files" (all of which were purchased by me). From my understanding, MPEG and Purchased AAC are good, but could those AAC audio files, be the issue? I didn't see anything in that guide about them, so I know it's a possibility.

Thanks for any help/insight in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

I don't believe the problem is with DRM although it's possible some of your music might be DRM protected.

It sounds like sometime in the past you used a different Apple ID to purchase or download music. If you have more than one Apple ID, you will be required to sign in with that other Apple ID and password so that you can do the transfer.

If you have forgotten the Apple ID and/or the password you will not be able to transfer those music titles.

So, I guess we need to ask first..... do you have more than one Apple ID or do you remember having more than one?

OP
D

dlwburner

Welcome to our forums.

I don't believe the problem is with DRM although it's possible some of your music might be DRM protected.

It sounds like sometime in the past you used a different Apple ID to purchase or download music. If you have more than one Apple ID, you will be required to sign in with that other Apple ID and password so that you can do the transfer.

If you have forgotten the Apple ID and/or the password you will not be able to transfer those music titles.

So, I guess we need to ask first..... do you have more than one Apple ID or do you remember having more than one?
so I actually just figured it would be smart start over, but this time delete all the music from my iphone before transferring. It worked. I think that tells me it's a music drm protection issue. I personally only gave one apple id, but I've shared music in the past. I don't have access to their apple IDs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.