Transfering Programs from old PC to Windows on Mac

Reaction score
Dear Mac-Forums User,

Thanks first of all for your tips here in this forum.

For the last two days I have been trying to install Windows 7 64bit on my Macbook Pro Mid 2012 and (finally) eventually succeeded this morning. My Macbook has two Harddisks, a 250 SSD and the normal 750GB HDD that comes with the Macbook.

I have not been successful to install Windows on a Partition through bootcamp on the 750gb disk, but it worked on the SSD.

I have two questions in this topic:
1. When logged into Windows I have access to the 750 HD disk but only READ. Is there a possibility to get Write as well or does that not work because the 750HDD is Fat and not NTFS?

2. The reason why I actually got a Mac was with the idea that i could just simultaneously to it run Windows and basically run the current installation of my old pc laptop (screen broke ...) on it, but that didnt work since it was a 32BIT installation of windows. However, my question now is - how do I transfer the programs from my old laptop to the Windows partition of my Mac? My major concern is the Office 2010 Professional Plus suite for which I paid quite some money; but Microsoft does not offer Downloads for 2010 anymore. I still have my Activation/Licence key (it is a retail chanel license that i think i can install on 3-5 pc's), but I either need an installation file or somehow "move" the whole Office from my old to my new windows.

Any ideas?? Would be very happy for ANY tips, as my essays at college are due this coming week ...

thanks!

lg Dyziko

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the forums.

1. When logged into Windows I have access to the 750 HD disk but only READ. Is there a possibility to get Write as well or does that not work because the 750HDD is Fat and not NTFS?

You need a third party driver installed to Windows so you can read and write to the Mac partition. That partition is not formatted to Fat but rather formatted as Mac OS Extended Journaled. A driver is available from Paragon Software at this LINK.

2. The reason why I actually got a Mac was with the idea that i could just simultaneously to it run Windows and basically run the current installation of my old pc laptop (screen broke ...) on it, but that didnt work since it was a 32BIT installation of windows. However, my question now is - how do I transfer the programs from my old laptop to the Windows partition of my Mac? My major concern is the Office 2010 Professional Plus suite for which I paid quite some money; but Microsoft does not offer Downloads for 2010 anymore. I still have my Activation/Licence key (it is a retail chanel license that i think i can install on 3-5 pc's), but I either need an installation file or somehow "move" the whole Office from my old to my new windows.

Transferring most Windows programs will not work because of Registry entries that must be in place and correct. They must be installed using the original media or from the downloaded exe file. Office 2010 Pro must be installed from the original CD with the activation license key. What you can do is contact MS support and ask them to send you a CD of Office 2010 Pro without the key. Since you have the activation licence key, all you need is the CD. If that's no longer available from MS you will have to go with a new copy of MS Office. Office 365 will work either for Windows or Mac OS X - your choice.

Reaction score
use produkey or jellybean to retrieve the office key (using another pc with the old HDD attched via usb) then reinstall on the mac.

or replace screen on old laptop.

they cheap on ebay and easy to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.