Trader's Database

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel IMac
I recently found a site, db.etree.org that is a "tape" trader's database. I found some recordings I would like to download but the files I found are in *.shn format. I am unfamiliar with the format and unsure how to convert to *.mp3 for uploading to Itunes.

Can anyone provide some guidance?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
shn is a lossless codec that preserves the audio exactly as it was recorded. If you are going to burn the music to CD for personal or trading use never burn using mp3 files. Convert the shn to .wav or .aiff and burn those files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4/4/320/Leopard, 12" PowerBook G4 1.5/1.25/80/Tiger
SHN stands for "Shorten", yet another lossless compression format out there (that, frankly, doesn't hold a candle to FLAC and Apple Lossless).

I second xACT, from which you can convert them to AIFF (or WAV) and then use iTunes to convert them to Apple Lossless or AAC.

Some people also swear by Cog for playing such files. It's got a very clean interface (but not as advanced as iTunes) and it's very powerful.

--Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
SHN stands for "Shorten", yet another lossless compression format out there (that, frankly, doesn't hold a candle to FLAC and Apple Lossless).

This is true but shn was around long before flac and ale. Most tapers have moved to flac for their recordings but you still have some traditionalists who are just sticking with what they always have

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.