Trade my Mid-2012 i7 for Late 2014 retina?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 4,1 --> 5,1 6 Core X5680
Hey guys, I have a mid-2012 13" 2.9 i7 8GB RAM 750GB mbp. I saw that apple recently updated the whole mbp line. The $1300 retina one seems worth it to me now that they upped the RAM to 8GB standard. The ONLY issue I have with the retina one is the 128GB HD space. I know its SSD which is great but man 750 is nice. I find myself transferring data due to lack of space with my 750. Besides that, the thing I'm not so sure about is how different the dual core i5 is to do 2.9 dual core i7. Would I lose THAT much performance? I do game on my mac via bootcamp and steam for mac. It is my understanding that the Iris is more than a marginal upgrade from the 4000HD. I see people selling my laptop for around $1100 so I wouldn't mind shelling out $200 to have 2 very useful thunderbolt ports and an HDMI out. I hate that I am stuck with only one external monitor unless I want a USB video adapter. What do you guys think about all of this? Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey guys, I have a mid-2012 13" 2.9 i7 8GB RAM 750GB mbp. I saw that apple recently updated the whole mbp line. The $1300 retina one seems worth it to me now that they upped the RAM to 8GB standard. The ONLY issue I have with the retina one is the 128GB HD space. I know its SSD which is great but man 750 is nice. I find myself transferring data due to lack of space with my 750.

I see people selling my laptop for around $1100 so I wouldn't mind shelling out $200 to have 2 very useful thunderbolt ports and an HDMI out. I hate that I am stuck with only one external monitor unless I want a USB video adapter. What do you guys think about all of this? Thanks.

Sounds like if 750gig of storage space is not enough with your current MBP…how are you going to deal with only 128gig of storage on the newer MBP?

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Nick. If you're thinking of duplicating the size of your current hard drive in a new rMBP you better be prepared to spend big $$. But if you're happy with using external hard drives, then go for it. By the way, the Iris graphics is quite a bit faster than the HD 4000. You can go to the Intel site and look up their specs.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 4,1 --> 5,1 6 Core X5680
Sounds like if 750gig of storage space is not enough with your current MBP…how are you going to deal with only 128gig of storage on the newer MBP?

- Nick

I agree with Nick. If you're thinking of duplicating the size of your current hard drive in a new rMBP you better be prepared to spend big $$. But if you're happy with using external hard drives, then go for it. By the way, the Iris graphics is quite a bit faster than the HD 4000. You can go to the Intel site and look up their specs.

Thanks for the input guys. I wouldnt mind using an external hard drive. I guess its mostly pictures and go pro videos that are taking up so much space.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I wouldnt mind using an external hard drive. I guess its mostly pictures and go pro videos that are taking up so much space.

This would actually be a solution to your current problem as well!:)

A 750gig drive is actually a pretty good sized drive for most folks needs. Maybe a lot of that stuff on the current 750 drive should be off-loaded…to solve the current storage issue.:)

But in any case…if you can "learn to live" with 128gig of internal storage…and if you are able to sell your current computer for close to $1100 (as you mentioned). Then spending just $200 + tax for a newer/better/faster unit would seem like the thing to do.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.