Trackpad settings issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP mid-'15, 16GB RAM, Big Sur
When I am in Safari and my fingertip is [approximately] in the middle of the trackpad and I move to click the Safari back button [upper left corner of the track pad] then any apps that are open will immediately quickly 'sweep' off of the screen revealing my desktop. I then have to click on the edge of the screen to get the apps to 'sweep' back on to the desktop.

I disabled the 'Show Desktop' feature in System Preferences>Trackpad but I still have this issue.

Is there a way to disable this feature?

Thank you

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
In the Trackpad preference pane look at the More Gestures tab. Uncheck the App Expose feature f you haven't done so already. I can't think of anything else that you haven't already tried.

OP
T'Pring
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, that feature was already unchecked.

Does what I described sound familiar? I am guessing this is something that most everyone experiences.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like you're scrolling sideways right to left (which is a scrolling gesture). I found myself doing that sometimes and it acts exactly as you describe. I don't think you can turn that off without turning off the normal scrolling (up and down). At least I couldn't. I have the Apple Magic Trackpad 2 which is very sensitive to my finger movements.

I'm really not a Trackpad person and prefer a mouse instead but do on occasion use the Magic Trackpad 2.

Anyway, try lifting your finger when you move to the upper left corner of the trackpad. I know it's more natural to slide your finger across the trackpad instead. But that's what causes the sideways scrolling off the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Maybe it has something to do with Mission Control in System Preferences? Look at how the Hot Corners may have been programmed.

OP
T'Pring
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe it has something to do with Mission Control in System Preferences? Look at how the Hot Corners may have been programmed.

Excellent -- That is it!

I disabled that corner and the behavior has ceased.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.