Track pad click not working

Cur

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Air (Retina, 13", 2020), running Monterey 12.2.1. For a few months the one finger "click" on my trackpad has stopped working. I have turned it off and on in Preferences (as suggested in a Google search) but that doesn't help my situation. Rebooting fixes it temporarily, for maybe a few hours of use, at best. I can't relate this problem to an particular app our usage pattern. I think it may have started after I downloaded the latest OS update. Does anybody have any solutions for me to try? Thanks!

Bob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
One finger click? You can't not use one finger to click. Do you mean "Tap to Click"?

The current version of Monterey is 12.3. So the first thing to try is updating to that. Perhaps there's a bug fix that addresses this.

If that doesn't fix it, try using Onyx to clean out your caches. This can sometimes resolve buggy behavior, especially after an update.

OP
C

Cur

Reaction score
Thank you "Life". I use one finger to tap the trackpad. I'll try the update (didn't know there was another one, thanks) and Onyx if necessary (I'm not familiar with it).

Bob

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...and Onyx if necessary (I'm not familiar with it).

Bob
Onyx is a great/free maintenance app. We've been recommending Onyx to members for over 15 years.

Found here if you choose to use it:

Be sure to download the correct Onyx version for the macOS version you have installed.:)

Nick

OP
C

Cur

Reaction score
Thanks pigoo3. I am camping at the moment with poor connectivity. I should have better access in a couple of days so I can then get back on this.

Bob

OP
C

Cur

Reaction score
Status report: I upgraded my OS a couple of days ago, no problems yet! 😊 Fingers still crossed!

OP
C

Cur

Reaction score
Status report #2: After a full week with the updated OS, I've had two more trackpad "freezes".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.