Total guts upgrade/replacement for 15" MacBook Pro 2.0Ghz i7 Quad Core

Reaction score
I want to replace literally everythign (including optic drive) in my computer to the best upgrade possible for this model. I am just looking for product numbers because i am getting a bit turned around (dyslexia suck) also if you have recommendations for werhe to purchase them it would be grate. In the end I want to have a computer better equpit for gaming. Iknow there are better computers but I also just want to do this as a project. And prove to girls can work on comps and macs can game.

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Thunderbolt

Thank you

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Doesn't quite work that way..your Macbook Pro isn't a generic container for generic hardware that you can randomly change..

If your goal is to create a gaming machine, you're better of spending the energy and money on a regular generic PC that is capable of running Windows.

Trying to make a point about the Macs gaming ability is really a dumb reason to do anything. Games just work better on Windows, that's just the reality of things.

And I'm a gamer BTW who just uses consoles now since the whole hardware rat-race is just annoying!

OP
A
Reaction score
I understand I don't have a generic machine. I am confused where you got the impression that that is what I wanted. You can replace the current parts and some are upgrade-able.Obviously Windows is better for gaming. I have a dual boot that I intend to re-install. I know the there is a hardware rat race. I mean have you seen the absurd stats alienware has on their top models?? there aren't even monitors that can display that high of quality graphics. As I said I'm doing this as a project and am jsut looking for numbers. Please dont git the impression I'm clueless. As stated before. Dyslexia make finding the right models insanely difficult. So I just need a copy paste option.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I understand I don't have a generic machine. I am confused where you got the impression that that is what I wanted.

What was meant by "generic" above is…not just any parts will fit. To do the upgrade you want…you will need to install a different logic board. And in many cases...a different/newer logic board most likely will not fit.

What you also may not have considered is…logic boards for Macintosh computers are expensive. If you sold the 15" MacBook Pro you have now…then added what you would spend on a newer logic board…you would probably have enough money to simply purchase a newer model 15" MacBook Pro.

These sort of "upgrades" with Macintosh computers is rarely done…both because of the cost…AND…many times simply because the parts won't fit.

- Nick

Reaction score
Given the cost and the labor, and the -high- chance you'll break something and render the entire experience an expensive failure, you're better off just buying a 2012 15" MBP on like eBay.

Mind you, the -absolute best- config you can get has a 2.7Ghz i7 (2nd gen) an a nVidia GT650M with 1GB VRAM. There are only a handful on eBay. Not comfortable linking to eBay but I just found one with an opening bid of $900. that's actually a really good price. These are not gaming machines though. A GT650M is very slow compared to what any typical "gaming laptop" would have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.