• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Tipping? - Why do Americans feel the need to tip anything that moves?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
We, this side of the pond might call it tounge in cheek. I have never been much good at taking life seriously. It's too short to do that.:Mischievous:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Our posts crossed Patrick. Real meat? I do like snails and cassoulet and good stuff like that. Don't be stingy with the foie gras either. Fantastic with fress figs!

Miam miam as the French say.:Cool:

I have just found this and it looks as if I could change my mind?

http://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/our-hotels/macdonald-bath-spa-hotel/

The menu looks good and they do B&B too :Cool::Cool:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Well, when Susan & I are traveling in our car, we will stop at a 'fast food' chain (maybe a half dozen times or less a year) - quick and an adequate 'gastric filler' - our usual pick is Wendy's - just a single cheese burger + share some fries; have not been to a McDonald's in several years and believe I ordered the fish sandwich last time, which was freshly cooked and tasty.

NOW, we've been to Maine on vacation a number of times and have tried a 'lobster roll' at a McDonald's - apparently this is becoming a MUCH more widespread option - we LOVE lobster rolls, so would certainly give the chain a try if the roll looked as good as the one below - :) Dave
Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 12.48.58 PM.png

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
For the little it's worth, I would say that in my travels around the world - (most times on my own, related to my profession; but this applies when my wife and I travel) - going to a MacDonald's, you know exactly what to expect irrespective of local cuisine. It's safe, clean and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. A sanctuary in some ways.

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
For the little it's worth, I would say that in my travels around the world - (most times on my own, related to my profession; but this applies when my wife and I travel) - going to a MacDonald's, you know exactly what to expect irrespective of local cuisine. It's safe, clean and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. A sanctuary in some ways.

Ian

You've hit the nail on the head Ian.:) This is EXACTLY what all chain restaurant's (fast food or otherwise) strives to achieve. The exact same experience wherever you go. Be it China, South Africa, Wales, Canada, Brazil, or the United States (or a chain restaurant that may only have location's within one country or region).

McDonald's may not be the best food on the planet. But it's tasty, satsfying, filling, trustworthy, safe, and inexpensive. And what you said about a "sanctuary"...is an excellent/perfect analogy!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A bit like the Holiday Inn chain. Where ever you wake up in the world you could be in the USA. That is what they used to advertise.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A bit like the Holiday Inn chain. Where ever you wake up in the world you could be in the USA. That is what they used to advertise.

There are worse in which places to wake up;D I'm being jokey, Jon, but it also has a serious side.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That isn't an opinion Ian, it's just what they used to advertise. I have no idea if that is true or not because the only times I have ever stayed in the USA was as ground crew with the Royal Air Force a couple of times. They were only over night stops.

The last time we stopped in a Holiday Inn was last Wednesday night in Cambridge. That's the original one with those old universities in the middle of the cite. It was very comfortable in the executive room we had. Not too sure about the breakfast as we were on our way to good old Ryanair at Stansted at breakfast time. But we made up for it with a very good lunch at the Stansted Airport Weatherspoons pub inside the security area. A pint or 3 of good English beer too to wash down my fish & chips (made from real potatoes O:)O:) )

As far as eating local is concerned. I love to eat what is there. It's the flavour of the place and you miss so very much by not tasting that, IMHO that is? That would be llike going to Glasgow and not having a deep fried MarsBar :\:\ (quell horror)

Reaction score
Its all about the culture. The culture in Japan is "not to give tips", and the culture in America is "to tip". In America, if you do not tip, you are being rude and arrogant. I guess that is where the east and west clash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Its all about the culture. The culture in Japan is "not to give tips", and the culture in America is "to tip". In America, if you do not tip, you are being rude and arrogant. I guess that is where the east and west clash.

I feel that tipping grew out of the Capitalist nature of our society. Everyone has the opportunity to achieve higher by working harder, and tipping is how those in the service industry achieve higher. Sadly, tipping has become an expected norm and the desire to overachieve to EARN a quality tip is out the window.

In cultures where integrity and high quality work are simply EXPECTED, tipping is not necessary.

M

MacInWin

Tip in cash. That way the server gets the tip, not some shared pool of people. The restaurant should pay the cook staff sufficiently well that tips are not needed. Pooling just lets the management cut salaries of the cook staff by sharing the tips. The only way to stop that is to tip in cash. Nothing for the cooks, they will eventually either get an increase in pay or leave. Show management that their tricks won't work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tip in cash. That way the server gets the tip, not some shared pool of people. The restaurant should pay the cook staff sufficiently well that tips are not needed. Pooling just lets the management cut salaries of the cook staff by sharing the tips. The only way to stop that is to tip in cash. Nothing for the cooks, they will eventually either get an increase in pay or leave. Show management that their tricks won't work.

When the restaurant requires that all tips be placed into a "jar" and split at the end of the shift, this doesn't help in any way. And, keeping cash tips instead of adding them to the kitty can result in termination.

I say you boycott those places that force pooled tips or just don't tip at all there. Ask your server, the host/hostess, or manager before you order if tips are pooled. Then ask if you can have 100% of your tip go to your server.

If not, leave, and explain why. If enough people push back against stupid management, management will change their stance when they see the revenues drop.

M

MacInWin

I never tip in a jar. Places with jars don't provide service with wait staff, and therefore no need for tips. What would you be tipping for, anyway?

I usually hand the tip directly to the server. It's up to them what they do with it at that point. If they want to share, fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bring back Animal Farm is what I say then everyone will be equal apart from those who are more equal than others?

Attitudes are different the world over and long may it reign that way. We have a Monarchy and we are proud of it. Some are jealous of it, but what the **** do we care. Others shout from the roof tops that they are a democratic republic, the ones shouting loudist are usually the furthest away from it. That's how the world is and I ain't going to chage it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I never tip in a jar. Places with jars don't provide service with wait staff, and therefore no need for tips. What would you be tipping for, anyway?

I usually hand the tip directly to the server. It's up to them what they do with it at that point. If they want to share, fine.

My point is that the server doesn't necessarily have the option. Places that require pooling of tips force the servers to put their tips into a common area and they are divvied up later to a larger group. Doesn't matter if you charge the tip, leave in cash, hand to the server, etc.

Most "nicer" restaurants have a generally-followed formula of what happens with the tips. Some percentage stays with your server. A smaller percentage gets split out to those other servers that have assisted over the course of the shift. Another, smaller portion may go to those that bus tables and a similar amount may go to the bartender(s). When I worked busing tables at an upscale restaurant, I was supposed to earn about 10% of the servers total tips for the night. I generally earned a little more from them because I worked my butt off and helped with more than just busing tables. I'd run orders to the bar, help serve (large parties), help clear, and even carry trays to/from the kitchen for the servers. In that scenario, the server that accepted your tip with your payment would end up with about 40% of the tips from their shift staying in their pocket.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Our all time favourite bistro here is part of the huge Le Domaine d'Auriac, le Bistro d'Auriac. It's a place where you go to the restaurant and pay a fortune or the bistro where you get a lovely 3 course lunch for 40€ for 2 with 1/2 litre of very nice wine. . We are known there and are greeted with handshakes from the manager down. All of the staff work togther, from the manager down, and when a tip is given there they ring a small bell. That bell should be worn out by now! They work as a team and should be tipped, if they deserve it, as such. We always tip there because they always deserve it.

Other places we have been to I wouldn't even think of tipping.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.