timemachine rescue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.4 Ghz Intel Core i5, 4 GB, OS 10.8.5
Hi. Newbie here. Trying to recover a 35 gb deleted user folder in Time Machine. Believe it contains valuable emails and attachments. How do I do this and pleae write your response as if responding to a moron. tks so much

M

MacInWin

It should be relatively easy. This article shows how to do it. Nothing has changed since ML in this area, so the process they show should work. Find the folder you want, then restore it. It could be a long time getting it done, depending on the size of the folder and the speed of the connection to the TM drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
'Enter' Time Machine and a Finder window will open with lots of windows going back to when you first started it. On the right of the screen you should see the ability to select specific dates within Time Machine so pick one prior to the date you carried out the deletion. If it has worked correctly you should find the deleted folder in exactly the same place it was in Finder before you deleted it.

Good luck!

Beat me to it MacinWin!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
https://support.apple.com/kb/ph14111?locale=en_US

Give that a try. If it is still confusing let us know. I think the directions in step one tell you what to open to recover e-mail.

If that doesn't work you can recover the entire user folder by doing the following:
1. In step 1 you are going to go to the "users folder at the main level of your hard drive and open that folder.
2. In step 3 scroll back through the snapshots until you see a folder you want to recover. Select that folder then click Restore.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone. Will give it the old high school try. mg

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi again. Thanks for your replies, but still have an issue. I followed the suggestions and recovered some of my old gmail emails. But here's my problem. I'm trying to recover mail from one of my other 4 email addresses that is controlled by a third-party server. (Not sure that matters). When I went to TimeMachine the deleted user folder I'm trying to access is a .dmg and isn't accessible as an import or export file. If I expand the .dmg folder some emails are imported but not from the other e address I'm desperate to recover. All these emails and their downloads were present on my computer before the upgrade to 10.8.5 and it's corresponding macmail version. Any other suggestions? thank you so much. mg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you enter the mail program first and then open Time Machine? You must run Time Machine from within the mail program in order to recover all your accounts.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi and thank you for your response. Something happened with your instructions so I'm now weeding through the results. Thanks again so much for your answer. tks mg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.