Time Machine (Re)Scheduling

OP
jmac0408
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (early 2015) MacOS Catalina (December 14/19). Updated to macOS Monterey 12.6.1 (November
Hi Ian!

Thank you very much once again for all your direction/input. It is very much appreciated. Apologies for all the NEWBIE questions and posts!

John A.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
John A,

You are very welcome. What's more, what would do if we didn't get Newbie questions?

All questions are welcome. It's the answers that can be tricky!

Ian

OP
jmac0408
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (early 2015) MacOS Catalina (December 14/19). Updated to macOS Monterey 12.6.1 (November
Hi Jake (MacInWin):
Boy, you're going to get sick of hearing from me!!
It is definitely possible that I'm just not configuring or using TM and TME correctly, but I just can't seem to coordinate the two apps successfully. As stated at the outset, I have TME 5.0.4 installed on my MBA. After viewing a couple of YouTube videos with instructions etc. I notice that my installation of TME does NOT have the ON/OFF option at the lower left corner of the app!!
Also, each and every time I configure the different areas (When Inactive/Interval/Calendar interval) and APPLY each one, by the time I return to check them, they've all CHANGED. Is this due to the fact that I have no ON/OFF switch?
I have also thought that possibly I didn't follow your direction properly with:"Make sure that you have turned on TM once, pointed to the backup drive and then turned TM off again. TME will then turn on TM on schedule, make the backup and turn it off again." Can you explain again how to turn TM off so that TME can take over?
Should I send you screenshots of my settings for TM and TME in order for you to review and assess?
I sincerely appreciate all your input. Thank you once again.

John A.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It is definitely possible that I'm just not configuring or using TM and TME correctly, but I just can't seem to coordinate the two apps successfully. As stated at the outset, I have TME 5.0.4 installed on my MBA. After viewing a couple of YouTube videos with instructions etc. I notice that my installation of TME does NOT have the ON/OFF option at the lower left corner of the app!!
Correct, you do not turn TME on or off, you Apply it. Make sure the little check box in front of the "Back up:" prompt is checked. That and the Apply button set TME to run on that schedule.
Also, each and every time I configure the different areas (When Inactive/Interval/Calendar interval) and APPLY each one, by the time I return to check them, they've all CHANGED. Is this due to the fact that I have no ON/OFF switch?
I'm not sure what you mean by that. The items in that selection box are options, not areas. So you can have TME run only when the system is Inactive, or on an Interval or on a Calendar interval. You pick the one you want and Apply that one and it becomes the TME schedule. You can only have one option at any time.
I have also thought that possibly I didn't follow your direction properly with:"Make sure that you have turned on TM once, pointed to the backup drive and then turned TM off again. TME will then turn on TM on schedule, make the backup and turn it off again." Can you explain again how to turn TM off so that TME can take over?
There is no on/off button in TM either. Open the TM Preferences and UNCHECK the "Back Up Automatically" button. That tells TM not to run unless you invoke it manually. TME then invokes it manually for you on whatever schedule you have opted for. The only reason I say to turn it on once is to get the pointing to the destination drive set, but I don't really think that is required. So if it is easier, just UNCHECK the box, select the drive you want to use for the backup and then close TM preferences, then launch TME, set the option and variables you want for that option and Apply, then close the TME window and you should be good to go.

That should cover it.

OP
jmac0408
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi again!

As always, your prompt responses are much appreciated. I think I now realize what I have been doing incorrectly? Within TME, I have been scheduling each of the 3 options and hitting APPLY to each at every session. Do you think that was my mistake? Should I be choosing only one option/APPLY and leave the others only as they appear when I access the app?

John A.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
John, you CAN ONLY chose one option. TME will use the last one you Applied by clicking Apply, and eliminate anything else. So pick the ONE option you want, set the details for it and Apply that setting. Then just wait until that event occurs and see if it runs successfully. If it doesn't, you can go into TME settings again to select it and Apply it again.

OP
jmac0408
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Understood!
Many thanks for all your help!

John A.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
@jmac0408

Just as a guide for future reference:

To take screenshot of part of the open window - your Time Machine settings in the case you posted - use Command + Shift + 4.

This will bring up a small round ball with a larger cross superimposed upon it.

Using your Mouse, move it to, say, the top left edge of the item to be copied. Now, hold down a left click and drag the cursor to fill the item to be copied. Then release the Click and a screenshot of the item will automatically appear on your Desktop.

(What you did was Cmd + Shift + 3 which takes a screenshot of the entire Window).

Ian
Also, when doing screen shots, if you hit the space bar after Command+Shift+4, you can just click on the window, you want to take the screenshot of.

OP
jmac0408
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ferrarr:

Much appreciated for the additional tip!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.