Time Machine question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB, 3 750GB HDs, 250GB HD, two 22" monitors, 1 iMac, 1 13" Macbook Pro, AppleTv, 2 iPhones
So I finally upgraded my Mac Pro to Leopard and decided that it is probably time to start backing the thing up. I'll add that, while I know PCs really well, I still consider myself somewhat of a Mac newbie.

The problem/question is, what exactly is the best thing to back up considering the amount of onboard storage I currently have:

1 750GB drive that is essentially my "system drive"
1 750GB drive that holds all of the stuff from various computers, mostly data
1 750GB drive that contains home movies in various states of processing
1 250GB drive that contains photos in various states of processing

Time Machines seems like the most obvious solution to me, but I am not sure if that is really the best solution, and given that I probably have 1.5TB of data, exactly what are the recommendations for backing up the various drives and how much external storage should I have?

I'll also add that I try to back up the photos onto DVD as soon as they are offloaded from the camera.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Wow! That's a lot of backing up. Reminds me of my VAX\VMS days on DEC equipment. :D

I wouldn't trust all that to Time Machine, maybe the system, but certainly not the remainder. If you can unload the movies and photos to DVDs that would save you quite a bit of space. As for backing up the remainder, take a look at this:

http://www.drobo.com/Products/Index.html

Not inexpensive, but might be just want you need.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.