Time Machine: Looking for documents on a "retired" backup drive

Reaction score
My dedicated time machine backup drive recently announced that it was full and I replaced it with new. The new drive is operating properly.

I now have the need to look up a few documents on the "retired," full disk. That disk mounts but time machine doesn't recognize that it is there. How do I access information on the retired" disk?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

When you mounted your old Time Machine backup drive, did you change drives by identifying the old drive as your Time Machine drive? Unless you do that, the Time Machine program will not "see" the old drive and open the old backups correctly.

Most of us in these forums recommend using cloning software in addition to Time Machine. (just as a point of info)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, schuetz1619. And thank you for your post.

When you reconnect your older Time Machine to the Mac, how are you looking for these lost documents?

There is a specific way you have to do this. Assuming that you have not upgraded your Mac OS since you created the older TM, the usual way of doing this is to open the site which previously held that document on your Mac - I assume "Documents", but wherever, then click on the TM icon on the top menu bar and choose "Enter Time Machine". Then, on the right, go back to a date when you are confident the lost document existed, search for it, find it, then hit Restore.

If you can't recall where that document was stored, you can search for it in the Search Bar of Time Machine as long as you have some idea of its name. Once found, hit Restore.

Please post back. We can guide you further if needed. We are here to assist.

Ian

Do NOT try this through Finder.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Admin chscag's comments are highly relevant and should be seen in conjunction with mine.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
When you click on the Time Machine Icon in the top menu bar, hold "option" down and that will give you the option to browse other backup drives.

OP
S
Reaction score
Using a "retired" ™ Disk in ™

When you click on the Time Machine Icon in the top menu bar, hold "option" down and that will give you the option to browse other backup drives.

Thanks to all for your input. The promptness was staggering.

I am familiar with the use of Time Machine and have been using it for two years, during which time I filled one eternal HD. By chance, I upgraded from 10.12 to 10.14 at the same time I grades out the first disk.

This (option key) is the silver bullet I was looking for, and all is now well.

How does one find a comprehensive index (if one exists) of such Mac OS10 "tricks"? I would never have found this but for your help.

Thank you again!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
How does one find a comprehensive index (if one exists) of such Mac OS10 "tricks"? I would never have found this but for your help.
Hang around here. Ask questions. Read what other people find/do to solve problems.

And welcome to the forum!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yep, the only source of tips like these are, to my knowledge, right here on this forum. I have learned so much and gained so much pleasure from passing on what I have learned over the years, perhaps you will too.:smile

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.