Time Machine isn't recognizing backup drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini M2 8GB, Sonoma 14.1.2
I have an external 1 TB SSD that I specified as the drive for Time Machine to use. It backed up to this drive for several weeks. Now it says it can't find the backup disk. I can see the backup disk in Finder, and can write files to it.

Any idea what the problem is here and how to solve it?

Thanks.

PS - this problem may have appeared when I erased this drive as discussed in this thread, but I didn't notice the problem until today.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
After you erased the drive, did you reconfigure TM to use it? As far as TM is concerned, when you erased it, it became a different drive and would need to be reinitialzed for TM again (by TM, when you point to it from TM Settings).

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I might add, it may look the same and even have the same name but the above still applies, TM will still see it as a different drive after erasure.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini M2 8GB, Sonoma 14.1.2
After you erased the drive, did you reconfigure TM to use it? As far as TM is concerned, when you erased it, it became a different drive and would need to be reinitialzed for TM again (by TM, when you point to it from TM Settings).
Ah!! That's the step I was missing. :rolleyes:

Just told it to forget the drive, and pointed it to it again and it's off to the races...

Thanks!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You are welcome.👍🏻

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.