Time Machine in depth configurations?

Reaction score
1 macbook pro, 1 250gb external hdd, 1 500gb external hdd. I want documents and Xcode projects to backup to the 250gb, and music, pics, and movies to back up to the 500gb. Is it possible to configure Time Machine to do this? Or can Time Machine only have one configuration with one back drive/disk at a time?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure it will work quite the way you want but... you can use two external drives for backup with Time Machine (that part is easy). But to direct certain things to one drive and other things to the other drive may take some work.

You could for example exclude what you don't want to backup to the first drive. Make the backup and then go back and change the configuration of Time Machine to exclude what you don't want backed up to the second drive and make the backup to it. It would mean a lot of work going back and forth changing the Time Machine configuration for exclusion - inclusion.

There may be an easier way but at the moment I can't think of one. Perhaps someone else can come up with an idea you can use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.