Time Machine -- have you noticed?

Reaction score
I was backing up my wife's computer and happened to monitor the process. I noticed it first said 2 minutes remaining. A bit later it said 4 minutes remaining, but it was the longest four minutes I've ever endured.

The estimated time bears zero connection to reality so why does Apple bother?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Cupertino minutes are not the same as minutes anywhere else?

Apple's estimates for anything are wildly off. Lots of reasons why, the chief of which is that the forecast is based on the performance to the current time, but without any detailed analysis of what is left. So, if there are 10 files, with 5 small ones and 5 huge ones, the system thinks that when it has done 5, it's halfway through, but if the 5 it's done are all small, and what's left are all large, that estimate will be wildly short.

Frankly, I only use the timing estimates to show that it's actually still working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, and it's not just Apple. CCC, SD!, and Chronosync all have wildly varying estimates both of how long a process will take and how much time is left.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Oh, and it's not just Apple. CCC, SD!, and Chronosync all have wildly varying estimates both of how long a process will take and how much time is left.

Totally agree. It's a guess - pardon - an estimate; that sounds more professional:)

Ian

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
Apple's estimates for anything are wildly off. Lots of reasons why, the chief of which is that the forecast is based on the performance to the current time, but without any detailed analysis of what is left. So, if there are 10 files, with 5 small ones and 5 huge ones, the system thinks that when it has done 5, it's halfway through, but if the 5 it's done are all small, and what's left are all large, that estimate will be wildly short.
Thanks. Makes sense.

I use SD! a lot and I've never seen an estimate of time remaining. Consequently I don't even think about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have SD!, but I don't use it. I use CCC and Chronosync and both have estimates. I though SD! had it somewhere, but I guess I was mistaken. In any event, it is, at best, imprecise.

Reaction score
Many users have reported experiencing unusually long Time Machine backup times after updating to macOS Sonoma. While there isn't a definitive solution yet, creating additional backups is a good precautionary measure.

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
Many users have reported experiencing unusually long Time Machine backup times after updating to macOS Sonoma. While there isn't a definitive solution yet, creating additional backups is a good precautionary measure.
I don't really care how long they take. It is the time estimates that I noticed, especially when they get longer.

JesseMorrison

Reaction score
I never even paid attention to the estimated time shown, when backing up SSD and HDD I already got used to wait one hour on a 10 minutes estimation.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
As has been said already, the time estimated and it's progress is more of an assurance that something is happening which I find reassuring.
Maybe it's more like a any maintenance job I do at home, eg; I went to change a light globe, I estimated it would take 5 min but, the lightbulb shattered when I tried to unscrew it. Now I need to use a pair of long nose pliers to remove the base, I estimate the job will now take 10 min but, I can't find my long nose pliers.
After a search long nose pliers found in the kitchen drawer, job actually took 25 min.:LOL:

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Don't do DIY, Rod.

I do GSI.......(Get Someone In). :) :)

Ian
Tried that with both the Kitchen and Bathroom, both of which I had refurbished in previous houses, and in both jobs I ended up sorting out their errors, I find today's tradesmen(women) are not as particular about the finish of a task, just want to complete (in their opinion) and go, no real pride in their work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.