Time machine format?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC i7 3.1Ghz 16mb RAM 250gb SSD
I am preparing a USB back-up disc to use with Time Machine. I currently use Linux so the disc is formatted ext3/4.
When I switch to a new iMAC will Time Machine recognise this disc and be able to re-format it?
If not what format would it recognise? (Fat32?)
Chris

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Time Machine uses HFS+. When you plug it into your Mac, you'll have to reformat it (so, you'll want to back it up).

OS X will recognize FAT32 but you won't be able to use it with Time Machine.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC i7 3.1Ghz 16mb RAM 250gb SSD
So..if I format it FAT32 (it's now ext3/ext4) Time Machine will recognise it as a HDD and re-format it HFS+.
(I don't have a utility to format HFS+ but can do FAT32)

M

MacInWin

You don't, I think, have to format it if all you want to do is reformat it. Just connect it, open DU, select and partition the drive, formatting it for Mac OSX Extended (journaled), which is HFS+.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You shouldn't need the intermediate step of formatting the drive FAT 32. When you connect the drive you'll be given the opportunity to format it. I think the software uses the word Initialize. Choosing that launches Disk Utility where you can complete the process.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.