Time Machine Backup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(iMac (21.5-inch, 2017)
Hi,
When I googled how to format External Hard Disk for a Time Machine backup I got conflicting answers so could you tell me if the following are ok to use,
WD External Hard Disk Drive ( HDD ),
Format = APFS ( case sensitive ),
Scheme = Guide Partition Map,
I am using a 2017 iMac with Monterey
One person threw me by saying APFS should only be used on SSD Drives & never for Time Machine backups ?.
Any advice would be appreciated.
John.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Here is my method - Attach external drive, open Time Machine, select external drive and TM will decide if it needs to reformat the external drive.

From what I have read APFS can be used but can limit you to non-networked backups for some reason - security I imagine. Since all my TM backup disk (and I use Airport Time Capsules) are networked they are formatted using HFS+ or what ever TM did to suit itself.

This link might explain it better: How to format a drive for networked Time Machine access

Lisa

OP
johnboy676
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(iMac (21.5-inch, 2017)
Here is my method - Attach external drive, open Time Machine, select external drive and TM will decide if it needs to reformat the external drive.

From what I have read APFS can be used but can limit you to non-networked backups for some reason - security I imagine. Since all my TM backup disk (and I use Airport Time Capsules) are networked they are formatted using HFS+ or what ever TM did to suit itself.

This link might explain it better: How to format a drive for networked Time Machine access

Lisa
Thanks for your reply Lisa.
John.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.