Time Machine Backup folders

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Late 2014, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Yosemite 10.10.3
Hey guys. I need to copy some core folders across from my time machine backup (Desktop, Documents, etc) using the Finder.
There are about 14 dated folders in my TM directory. Does the "Latest" folder hold a complete copy of my mac the last time I backed up, or does it just hold some of the components of the overall backup?

If I copy only the "Latest" folder back onto my desktop will it represent a complete copy of my old Mac HD?

(Sidenote: This TM backup is from my old laptop. I am not restoring the whole thing to my new mac as i dont want all the crap from my old MacHD on my new MacHD. The TimeMachine app has been playing up a bit so I thought I'd just locate and copy the folder I need manually from the TM directly)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hey guys. I need to copy some core folders across from my time machine backup (Desktop, Documents, etc) using the Finder.
There are about 14 dated folders in my TM directory. Does the "Latest" folder hold a complete copy of my mac the last time I backed up, or does it just hold some of the components of the overall backup?

If I copy only the "Latest" folder back onto my desktop will it represent a complete copy of my old Mac HD?

The "latest" folder has a complete, most recent backup.

As you may be aware, Time Machine only backs up any changed files every time it runs, but when you browse the archive yourself, it presents a complete picture of the most recent copy of everything, no matter when it was actually archived. So you may have a handful of files first archived, say 3 months ago that never changed, and others archived yesterday because they changed. Only the most recent copies will be seen in "latest". I'll provide a link to how Time Machine does its "magic" if you care to read it.
How Time Machine Works its Magic

Last edited:
OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Late 2014, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Yosemite 10.10.3
The "latest" folder has a complete, most recent backup.

As you may be aware, Time Machine only backs up any changed files every time it runs, but when you browse the archive yourself, it presents a complete picture of the most recent copy of everything, no matter when it was actually archived. So you may have a handful of files first archived, say 3 months ago that never changed, and others archived yesterday because they changed. Only the most recent copies will be seen in "latest". I'll provide a link to how Time Machine does its "magic" if you care to read it.
How Time Machine Works its Magic

Hey LAB. Many thanks. So actually if I copy the "Latest" folder across to my desktop, it would NOT be a complete copy of my hard drive as files that have not been updated in a whilst will only be stored in the other periodic folders?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hey LAB. Many thanks. So actually if I copy the "Latest" folder across to my desktop, it would NOT be a complete copy of my hard drive as files that have not been updated in a whilst will only be stored in the other periodic folders?

No, it WILL be a complete copy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.