Time Machine back up drive not mounting

B

Blueser100

I have a seven old WD My Passport 1TB external drive that I have used for Time Machine backups. Two days ago it suddenly decided to stop mounting on the desktop. I ran Disk Utility on it and it sees the WD drive. I ran Disk First Aid on it and it found no problems.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Check Finder, preferences, and make sure External Disks is checked on the General tab.

OP
B

Blueser100

Check Finder, preferences, and make sure External Disks is checked on the General tab.

Thanks yep it is checked by default. The drive is seven years old so if no other solutions pan out I may just get a new drive. I also have Carbon Copy Cloner that runs daily so it’s not a panic situation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seven years is a good run. Typically the issue is not so much the drive itself as it is the interface circuitry on the board inside the enclosure. But 1TB drives are really inexpensive these days, so it may not be worth looking into a new enclosure for it. OWC (macsales.com) has enclosures, if you want to pursue it.

OP
B

Blueser100

Seven years is a good run. Typically the issue is not so much the drive itself as it is the interface circuitry on the board inside the enclosure. But 1TB drives are really inexpensive these days, so it may not be worth looking into a new enclosure for it. OWC (macsales.com) has enclosures, if you want to pursue it.
Ok thanks. I already have another newer 1TB SSD drive that I use for CCC so I may use that. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I ran Disk First Aid on it and it found no problems.
Thanks yep it is checked by default. The drive is seven years old so if no other solutions pan out I may just get a new drive.

But that seems a bit odd that Disk Utility sees and checks the drive, so it had to be mounted for that to happen. Or did Disk Utility just unmount it so the Finder can't see it???

Did you try disconnecting and then reconnecting the drive???

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thanks. I already have another newer 1TB SSD drive that I use for CCC so I may use that. Thanks.
I would not put TM and CCC on the same drive. That defeats the purpose of having two backups, and depending on the settings in CCC, may cause trouble for you.

OP
B

Blueser100

But that seems a bit odd that Disk Utility sees and checks the drive, so it had to be mounted for that to happen. Or did Disk Utility just unmount it so the Finder can't see it???

yes it is strange.I don’t know

Did you try disconnecting and then reconnecting the drive???

yeah, no difference.

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Can you "Enter" Time Machine from the pull down menu on the Tool Bar where the drive is connected? If so can you see all your backups?

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
If all the above are true then the device is mounting and functional but maybe not too much longer. Have you tried rebooting your device? Try connecting to a different port.
After all that, even if it does eventually mount I wouldn't trust my Time Machine backup to a 7 year old EHD. Maybe time to retire it.
Definitely do not put Time Machine and a Clone on the same EHD, believe me it's a recipe for disaster.

OP
B

Blueser100

Can you "Enter" Time Machine from the pull down menu on the Tool Bar where the drive is connected? If so can you see all your backups?

Yes I can enter time machine and even access and restore a document. But if I try to “back up now” it just says it’s unavailable. Clearly there’s a problem. What I would like to do is just get a new external drive and start over.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
What I would like to do is just get a new external drive and start over.

Sounds like a good plan. That Drive is likely on its way out. So, new EHD and start up a fresh TM Backup. And, just in passing, may I just endorse the views, previously expressed, never put more than one backup on a EHD.

Ian

OP
B

Blueser100

Sounds like a good plan. That Drive is likely on its way out. So, new EHD and start up a fresh TM Backup. And, just in passing, may I just endorse the views, previously expressed, never put more than one backup on a EHD.

Ian

yes thanks. I’ve got the two separate drives, one is the CCC clone and other Time Machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Clearly there’s a problem. What I would like to do is just get a new external drive and start over.

As Ian says, sounds like a good plan, but in the interim, what about nuking and zeroing-out that WD external drive and then see what Time Machine might do with it starting afresh???

I would sure give it a try. You can't lose much and you've already lost what you did have it seems like. ?

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use my last "retired" EHD, after repairing it as Patrick described above, for storing stuff I'm not afraid to loose. Some eBooks, movies, game apps etc, stuff I could always download again if needed but take up valuable space. It continues to work perfectly but I wouldn't trust it for a HD backup again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
In System Preferences > Time Machine, Add or Remove Backup Disk. First remove the drive, or just select the drive again.

OP
B

Blueser100

In System Preferences > Time Machine, Add or Remove Backup Disk. First remove the drive, or just select the drive again.
Nothing worked. It was nearly eight years old. It’s been replaced by a new one. Old one getting the drill and sander treatment today.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Mine is temperamental like that and probably the same sort of age. I persist...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On separate partitions of the same EHD?
Theoretically you could do that, but if that backup drive fails, you lose both backups. I have had that happen before, which is why I keep multiple drives, one for TM one for clones. Drives are cheap. Don't pinch pennies on backup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.