Time Machine and Yosemite HELP!!!

Reaction score
My 2007 MacBook Pro hard drive died and I replaced it with a 1TB Hybrid Drive. It wouldn't read my Time Machine backups so I did a clean install of Yosemite. It still won't read my previous Time Machines and I have all my Adobe Software, artwork, resumes, all my files on my Time machine hard drive from my old hard drive. Any tips at all would be very welcome.

Ty.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

How are you trying to restore from Time Machine? You should be doing the restore from your recovery partition in Yosemite. In other words, restart and hold down command and the R keys at the same time. That will get you into the recovery partition. Go to utilities and from there you can run Time Machine and do the restore.

Also, when was the last time you tested your Time Machine backups? It's a good idea to access Time Machine backups and open the latest to see if the backup was made. The reason I ask is that you should be able to read and restore your Time Machine backup to your new hard drive.

If the above doesn't work, try using the Migration Assistant app which is located in your Utilities Folder. Attach your Time Machine backup drive to your MacBook Pro and point the Migration Assistant to it. Let's see if it works that way. Also, you might want to use Disk Utility to verify your Time Machine backup drive just to make sure it has no errors.

OP
P
Reaction score
Ty for your reply, I had mavericks with the last time machine backups and have yosemite on my new hard drive. I tried both in recovery and using migration assistant. It doesn't read the old backups from either way. Now I am having the issue that my mac isn't seeing the hard drives at all. Other macs do, just not mine. When i plug them in (both firewire one old, one new) they turn on, start spinning and making the usual noise but my computer never sees them. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I think you may have computer problems, logic board etc, and not external drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.