Time Machine Access Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro mid-2012 Retina OS X 10.15.7 8 GB memory 500 GB storage
I may have created a problem for myself. Here is the background.

In January, my MacBook Pro developed the problem of not booting completely. I would get the Apple ican and only about a 1/4" of progress bar and it would stall. Genius Bar checked it out and found the hardware was sound and no discernible software issue, so they wiped the drive and installed 10.1. I then did a complete restore from Time Machine with no issues.

Over the weekend, the boot-up problem recurred. Genius bar could not find anything wrong so the only variable seemed to be the back-up file. The drive was wiped again and the Mac was reverted to a "first use" machine.

So as I was setting it up, when I opened Time Machine, it asked which drive I wanted to use. Here is where I believe I went off the tracks. It appears I created a new file that is now resident when I open Time Machine. So when I try to go to a date from last week to restore files, it does not recognize the date as it only knows today's date and the time the file was created.

Is there a way to delete this new file so that I can access the original file containing my backups?

Assuming there is an answer to question 1 above, the Apple tech told me not to do a full restore since it would likely result in a recurrence of the problem. He said to restore Documents files and reload all applications. The question I did not ask was where is the file that would most likely harbor the "bug?" Documents and Apps are easy, but there are a million other files and how do I know which ones to restore to make sure everything works the way it should?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I am not sure if this will work but you can try this - hold down the Option key while click on the Time Machine icon at the top of your screen. You will see the option to "browse other backup disks". Click on that and see if you can see the other backup. If so it should be safe to restore all your documents, music, photos, and videos.

Apps could be trickier. Some apps are just drag and drop into the application folder and others will install support files into other areas of OS X. You would be better off to re-download and install any apps.

Lisa

OP
Rick T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro mid-2012 Retina OS X 10.15.7 8 GB memory 500 GB storage
Hi Lisa,

Yes, that worked! Thank you very much for the information.

Rick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Excellent! Glad it worked.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.