Time Capsule and a new modem/router issues.

Reaction score
I moved recently and have been having issues with my macbook not being able to connect to my TC which is plugged into a new WiFi Modem that Time Warner brought out. My suspicion is that something is happening in the router and the TC's IP address is getting changed or something? Now I'm an HR guy not an IT guy so all this networking stuff is really frustrating to me. I lost my connection to the TC last night and have yet to figure out how to get it back. The last time this happened I went into Airport Utility and though I didn't change anything it highlighted the Update button and after pushing it it was working again. I've tried the same thing again but no luck. I do have a few devices plugged into the TC and an external HD connected to it as well that I cannot get to anymore.
Anyone have a simple, idiot proof, set of instructions on what I would need to do that would make sense to a non IT guy?
Thanks, Jeff

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to find out how to put the new Time Warner modem/router into bridge mode. That will enable your TC to be the device to provide an IP address and so that you can continue to use your HDD attached to the TC. Give Time Warner a call or if instructions were provided with the new router, look up how to place it in bridge mode so you can use your TC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
You can try this:

Open a browser and in the address window type in 192.168.0.1 (the default ip address for TWC modems)

Log into the modem, default user name is admin and default password is password (unless you have changed it - and you should change it!)

Go to LAN setup and under Nat section select Bridged. that will grey out all the DHCP

Then go to the Firewall tab and unselect “enabled”

Then turn off wireless, save changes, and reset it

If any of the above is greyed out call twc - they may have it locked.

Lisa

Reaction score
Time warner may also have it blocked for security reasons as well so make sure if it is blocked you ask them why when apple time machine drives require the function.

and they do or you cannot access them

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.