Time Capsule Alternative

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
That is correct - copy the data off - format it with your Mac as HFS+ - then plug it into your AE. It will show up in Time Machine as a backup drive.

I would doubt it is formatted as HFS+. Even the Mac branded seagate drives - now come with ntfs drivers - I just format them to HFS+

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to do something similar to EightmanVT, and have found this thread pretty useful (thanks). I want to plug a NAS box into my FIOS router (also 802.11g, not n) so that I can do wireless backups of my MBP using Time Machine, and of my XP machine as well (using the s/w some vendors include with their NAS). Not interested in other functions besides backups.

As a sanity check, here's what I believe I need for TM. The NAS must support AFP 3.x, and the disk used for TM must be formatted as HFS+. Any of the vendors who claim TM support can do this (Synology, QNAP, and LaCie, among others). Should be pretty straightforward to get this to work.

To support the XP machine I assume the disk will have to be formatted as NTFS (or, at least, non-HFS+). Can the disks on the NASs be partitioned, one for HFS+ and one for NTFS, or do I need two disks? I.e., either a 2-bay NAS or a 1-bay with a USB-connected external drive (any significant difference between these two, besides $$?).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What NAS is it? Usually you don't have to format the box - the software running usually gives the different protocols that different OSes need. The format step comes when you plug in a USB a device like a TC or AEBS.

Reaction score
What NAS is it?

Haven't picked one yet. Depends on whether I need 1 disk (supporting both TM and XP) or 2 disks (separate). That said, for the 1 disk I would get something like the LaCie Network Space 2, the QNAP TS-112, or the Synology DS110. Comments/suggestions welcomed.

Usually you don't have to format the box - the software running usually gives the different protocols that different OSes need. The format step comes when you plug in a USB a device like a TC or AEBS.
Ok, thanks for that clarification.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.