Thunderbolt to USB3 adapter (?)

Reaction score
I already have an Ethernet adapter for the Thunderbolt port (lightning symbol) on a Mac Book Pro (Retina, 15 inch, mid 2014). This MBP runs on 10.13.6.

Now I would like to use this same adapter with a new MBP (Big Sur) that has USB 3 sockets.

So I need a Thunderbolt (male) to USB C (female) adapter to plug into the new MBP. I believe there are different kinds of Thunderbolt and would appreciate some advice before buying anything.

Would the following on Amazon be suitable?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072V9CNTK/

With many thanks in advance.

M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
That adapter won't work. It has the "old" USB-A female end and it doesn't sound like you have anything using that. Your old MBP has Thunderbolt 2, which uses the same connector as a mini-DisplayPort. This here is what should work for you:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M72VEQR/

OP
M
Reaction score
That adapter won't work. It has the "old" USB-A female end and it doesn't sound like you have anything using that. Your old MBP has Thunderbolt 2, which uses the same connector as a mini-DisplayPort. This here is what should work for you:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M72VEQR/
Thanks very much for your reply.
In my post I said that my new MBP has "USB 3 sockets" but guess I should have said "it has four USB C sockets" - (the small reversible ones).
The adapter from my earlier MBP looks like this:

IMG_0001.JPG

I was hoping for some kind of in-line adapter that would link the existing one above to a USB socket on the new MBP.

The adapter that you show in your link is a bit more expensive than I was expecting. In fact, it verges on the cost of a docking station.
Do you know of a cheaper option?
Renewed thanks ...
M

OP
M
Reaction score
Further to the above ... perhaps it's not worth keeping my existing Ethernet adapter but instead go for a purpose-built version like this one:

Thanks in advance ...
M

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Further to the above ... perhaps it's not worth keeping my existing Ethernet adapter but instead go for a purpose-built version like this one:

In my opinion, that's a better choice and much less expensive.

OP
M
Reaction score
Further to the above, I just got the "Ilano Start a hub - 3.0 GB Ethernet hub". But this is not compliant with Big Sur!

I was surprised when I plugged it in because there were just 3 services showing in 'Network' in Sys Prefs: WIFI, Bluetooth PAN and Thunderbolt Bridge. There was no mention of Thunderbolt Ethernet (for Internet).

I got onto Apple Support and they said that if it had been compliant, the 4th service would have shown at once. This latter service would have been automatically established.

They have recommended the Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.

My new MBP on Big Sur has been quite a headache: a lot of accessories needed renewing. (There was a problem with the HP printer that eventually got sorted out thanks to help on this forum.) But I also needed a new version of MS Office and some new plugs and sockets.

Anyway, I wonder whether anyone has had similar problems with Ethernet adapters / hubs. (But perhaps there's a difference between 'hubs' and 'adapters' that I should have known about.)

M

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.