Thunderbolt 27 inch display and 2021 MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Anyone know whether the MacBook Pro M1 Max (new 18 Oct 2021 model) will work with an Apple Thunderbolt Display, the 27-inch 2560×1440-pixel monitor ? If yes will it require a converter cable to connect with the MBP ? Will it be possible to power it from the MBP as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
My MBP 16" M1Pro is working with the TB display just fine. It does take a TB3 to TB2 converter. This one from Apple is what I have: Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter

AFAIK, it cannot be powered by the MBP. In fact, the TB Display works the opposite, it provides power via the TB2/MagSafe cable that came with it. I use that cable to connect to the adapter, leave the MagSafe just by itself. The MBP takes a lot more power than the TB Display provides.

OP
ryck
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm trying to figure out what the power set up should be... If I understand correctly the display TB is connected to the MBP using a TB3 to TB 2 adapter. The MBP is powered by its Magsafe. The display magsafe connector is not used at all as it remains powered by its own mains cable.. Correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Yes, that is it. The Display has a mains power cord. It used to provide power to an attached MBP through the combined TB/MagSafe cord. However, the MagSafe socket on the new MBPs is shaped differently than the old, and I don't think there is a converter for that, so the power end just sits there, unused. Here is my setup (sorry for the lousy picture):
IMG_1153.jpg

OP
ryck
Reaction score
Excellent.. actually a good picture. Your advice has been much appreciated - Thank you.

I've ordered the various cables and adapters that I need for my MBP M1 Max arrives 19-26 Nov. Prices Apple charges for cables/adapters is mind blowing! Nevertheless despite that I'm looking forward to having a blisteringly fast laptop with 8Tb of onboard storage!

OP
ryck
Reaction score
Thanks MacInWin. MBP M1 MAX arrived today. Had the adapter you advised. Display works a treat. Any suggestions as to the best 'USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter' make/model for connecting an ethernet cable to the MBP? Apple do not offer one!

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.