Thunderbolt 2 to 3

Reaction score
using thndblt. 2 to external 256ssd that is beginning to fail..... most new ex. ssd are thndblt. 3, are they interchangeable ? and is there a tutorial on how to transfer data from old to new ssd. am on serria with late 2015 imac thanks
dennis

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, there are adapters that will allow you to use a TB 3 SSD to a TB 2 connection. Are you aware that TB 3 SSDs are expensive? Or are you referring to the USB-C|USB 3.1 SSDs which are compatible with the TB 3 connection? (Such as the Samsung T5 SSD?)

And, you can copy the data from your old SSD to the new one with Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper, or Disk Utility. (Assuming you wish it to be bootable.)

OP
denniscampbell
Reaction score
Yes, there are adapters that will allow you to use a TB 3 SSD to a TB 2 connection. Are you aware that TB 3 SSDs are expensive? Or are you referring to the USB-C|USB 3.1 SSDs which are compatible with the TB 3 connection? (Such as the Samsung T5 SSD?)

And, you can copy the data from your old SSD to the new one with Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper, or Disk Utility. (Assuming you wish it to be bootable.)

thanks for the data transfer info....
yes the TB 3 are out of my price range, my current ssd, a transcend store jet 500 has a TB2 / usb 3.0 from desktop to external drive and am trying to replicate same and just replace failing ssd, the fact that there is only amazon india to order from must be a factor ......looked at samsung T5, amazon (india) specs say hard drive interface is 1.1 and SSD, USB 3.1 Type-C to C Cable, USB 3.1 Type-C to A Cable, the 1.1 looks like a typo ?.... the seagate has the same specs and a bit cheaper but not familiar with either, the fact that there is hardly more than 125 Gbs in storage, most going to back up, it seems as though the need for a TB 2 may not be necessary except for a slight difference in read/write speed? am i on solid ground here ?
thanks
dennis

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have no knowledge of the Seagate, but I'm currently using a Samsung T5 connected to a TB3 connection on my iMac. The TB3 connection is also USB 3.1/USB-C. There is a rather large difference between TB2 read write speeds from TB3. But like I pointed out in my original reply, a TB3 SSD is going to be expensive and probably not really needed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.