Thrip / Thunderflies in monitors

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7 AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB / 80 GB 2133 MHz DDR4
This new iMac 27" I thought would be safe from these little menaces but it's not. I have seen 2 crawling round inside behind the glass. How are they getting in? The iMac seems to be a sealed unit. The only possible place might be the vent slots above the RAM upgrade door. Is it safe to put some tape over them?

To be honest I have just sold an otherwise perfectly good 27" Asus monitor with at least 6 flies trapped behind the glass, all dead.

I really thought with this iMac i would be free of them. So far to get rid of them I put it to sleep and hope they crawl out to the light and it has worked but I think I was just lucky. Does anyone else have this problem? That's living in the countryside for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 16GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
I would never put tape over a vent. for obvious reasons. They're there for a purpose!

Something you could try is to get some fine mesh and place that over all and any vents. Obviously, if it's too fine, that too will obstruct airflow, so it'll be a bit of a balancing act over exactly hat size of mesh to use. I would imagine that the kind they use for fly-screens in some parts of the world would do nicely. Not sure where that can be bought in the UK though ...although global warming is making us more tropical by the day, so you never know...

OP
Kryten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good point. I'll check around for mozie netting maybe although. Maybe back it with some kind of sticky tape pierced facing outward to catch on the way in, the little blighters.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only possible place might be the vent slots above the RAM upgrade door. Is it safe to put some tape over them?

I doubt they're getting in from there. More likely they're getting in from the bottom air intake vents below the display. Even in a "fly free" area, those vents accumulate dust and fuzz over a period of time. I clean my vents out every so often.

Buy yourself a "Bug Zapper" and keep it near your iMac or at least in the room where you do your computing. That should get rid of them before they settle in your iMac. Amazon UK sells all sorts of "Bug Zappers".

OP
Kryten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Charlie. I didn't realise that there were slots on the bottom edge of the iMac. My office is directly next to wheat and barley fields so it's always a problem. I will certainly look at your suggestion, thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.