Thoughts on Switching from Outlook Mac 2019 to Apple Mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Pro 1TB SSD
I have been using outlook for mac for years to gather email from a few different email accounts and have a sizable olm data file with old email history. I am now investigating switching over to Apple Mail and would appreciate advice.

First issue is being able to display multiple email accounts in a common inbox, Outlook will not allow this when using map. Next issue is that I would prefer to still use pop vs imap, Outlook has pretty much blocked the use of pop. Next issue is that I wish to transfer my old emails. Lastly, what is the best method, or where can I find good instructions to guide me in making this switch.

Most currently, Outlook is now often requiring me to log into a browser under each gmail account in order to access the emails. I do like to control the amount of information that anyone collects on me so I usually do internet browsing without being logged into any accounts.

I am currently using MS office 2019

Thanks for advice

Reaction score
... I wish to transfer my old emails.

Archived e-mail messages that exist on your computer from old POP accounts can be converted and imported into Mail (i.e. your OLM files will be converted to the MBOX file format) with the help of:

Emailchemy ($30)
Emailchemy - Email Migration Software - Weird Kid Software

However, if you are frugal, you can simply download the free program Thunderbird, which includes all the translators that you need to import archived e-mail messages from Outlook and then export them in a format that can be used by Mail. Then just import from within Mail.

Thunderbird (free, open source)
Thunderbird — Make Email Easier.

Lastly, what is the best method, or where can I find good instructions to guide me in making this switch.

If your accounts are IMAP (or if you switch your accounts to IMAP first), then all that you have to do is open Mail and follow the instructions, which will include entering your IMAP address. Mail will download all of your past e-mails from your mail host's server.

Mail User Guide

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Pro 1TB SSD
thank you. I have several gmail accounts which were switched from POP to IMAP earlier this past year. I also have a couple AOL accounts that are still POP. I have a significant collection of old emails (from POP) all saved in various personal folders. I want to be able to keep and transfer all that to whatever I switch to. My dislike of Outlook with IMAP is that I cannot have a global, or common, inbox . I might try a switch to Thunderbird first so I can compare that to Mail. thanks again

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You might be interested in BlueMail which I am testing at the moment. see my post here

BlueMail is free and will accept AOL and POP3 accounts.

Reaction score
If you have a hotmail, outlook or other Office 365 account, you can setup an 'Exchange' account in Apple Mail to work with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.