This may be of use to those reinstalling macOS Mojave

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I was having some issues with my late 2019 iMac (specs under my avatar).

After exhausting the usual tricks & tests, I decided to reinstall macOS Mojave.

The Process is easy - Reboot holding down Command + R to enter Recovery Mode. Then select "reinstall OS". That went fine.

Given that macOS Mojave has been out a long time and is succeeded by macOS Catalina, I assumed that the new OS would be 10.14.6. But I didn't check. All was well till I tried to open Photos app. Failed.

Then I discovered that my reinstall was 10.14.4.

You cannot use System Preferences > Software Update because it will not install 10.14.6 on top of 10.14.4. I knew that but tried anyway. Not allowed. Even in Safe Mode, it was disallowed.

The correct way is to use macOS Mojave Combo update for 10.14.6. I did this and it failed. Then I found that this is not uncommon: 10.14.6 Combo Update - Apple Community

From that Link, I found an alternative Apple site that does work: Download macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Combo Update

All is now well.

For the veterans and other experienced users, none of the above may be news; but for others, including me, this was a learning experience.

I hope my comments may help others?

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks of the heads up. It would have been news to me as well. I'd have expected the Recovery step to have installed 10.14.6.

Reaction score
It's a shame they've made it so complicated. System Preferences ought to be "smart" enough to download what you need from the server without you having to jump through hoops. Glad you got it working, though, and thanks for posting this good reference material!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It's a shame they've made it so complicated. System Preferences ought to be "smart" enough to download what you need from the server without you having to jump through hoops. Glad you got it working, though, and thanks for posting this good reference material!

+1!!! I'd agree completely.

This is definitely Not The Way Apple used to have the reputation of doing things properly. It would sure be nice if they would get their more recent stuff together and working as it should, or at least as the user would expect and think things should work.

BTW Ian, did your reinstall of macOS Mojave fix your Computer issues and problems I hope.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
BTW Ian, did your reinstall of macOS Mojave fix your Computer issues and problems I hope.

Thank you so much for asking - Yes, Patrick. Am I being too pessimistic in adding "for the moment"?:wink

All well for now. That is me, my wife and the computer - but not necessarily in that order:)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thank you so much for asking - Yes, Patrick. Am I being too pessimistic in adding "for the moment"?

I'd say No, especially the way many recent Mac OS things seem to be working these days. :Grimmace:

But let's hope it actually does fix your Mac OS issue and problem.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Wow. What the actual what? That definitely isn't how this is supposed to work. Glad you got it sorted, but it just reinforces something I've been saying to myself lately: "Apple? Get your #&%$ together!"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.